Chapter 2 - A Special Friend

Start from the beginning

"Hey! Are you the robot from yesterday?!" His voice echoes throughout the spacious hallway.

Immediately, the robot jumps in fright and briefly turns her head around to look at him before darting down the corridor.

Itsuki quickens his pace and catches her in time.

The robot slowly spins around to face him this time. Her arms and legs tremble and her metal lips quiver in bewilderment. "Y-yes?" she stutters, still frightened.

Itsuki senses her distress and steps back to give her space.

"I'm sorry I scared you yesterday! Um... I didn't know you would be so startled by us... Please forgive me!" He squeaks as he bows apologetically.

Kohane opens her mouth, but no words escape. Seeing a human respect the emotions of a mere invention like herself feels like such a surprise to her. Instantly, she feels the fear flee from her and she stands a little straighter.

"I-it's ok... I know you didn't mean any harm! I'm... Kohane!" She gushes bashfully.

It's as if their conversation broke the awkward barrier between the two. Surely, an invisible bond ties itself around them, and their curiosity for each other grows.

Itsuki abruptly transitions from his shy self, to being alert as he becomes aware of his priorities. He turns his head around, trying to single out the control room he has been searching for.

Coincidently, it's as if someone answered his prayer, because he reads the sign of the room he and Kohane are standing in front of: Professor Mars' Control Room.

...

"What a coincidence! It turns out you were the robot Prof. Mars organized to supervise me today!" Itsuki exclaims as he removes his helmet.

Kohane switches off the lights in the control room before joining Itsuki at the door.

"They call it fate, right?" she says.

Her human companion slides the key into the slot and escorts her down the hallway. They stop shortly in front of a brightly-lit vending machine and Itsuki rummages his pockets until he finds a one-dollar coin.

"Hey, you've worked hard today. May I offer you a drink?" he asks his new friend. She smiles before picking her favourite brand of Robot Juice.

Since robots do not require food to function, all they need is oil to fuel them up and polish the parts inside them. Therefore, robots all over the world drink a product called the Robot Juice, a packaged drink consisting of oil and a hint of petroleum.

"You know, I've always wondered what this stuff tastes like," Itsuki says.

Kohane is suddenly perplexed. I'd never imagine a human wanting to drink a substance suited for a robot...

But as if to prove her thoughts wrong, Itsuki takes the popper and begins to take a sip. Almost immediately, he splutters and spits the substance out of his mouth. "Wow! This stuff is foul! Gross!" He complains. Well, that was stupid.

However, this triggers Kohane to burst into giggles.

Itsuki stops and stares at Kohane.

Despite her timid nature, Itsuki finds Kohane somewhat adorable. Suddenly, a light-bulb appears inside his head to signify the birth of a brilliant new idea.

"Hey, how about we meet here to practice every day until my Cyberarmor tournament?! It would be great having a robot companion around to help me. Plus, if you're here, I won't get in trouble for coming alone!" Itsuki suggests excitedly.