1 ; darkness

"the darkness inside one's heart can only be tamed by someone of the same darkness."

Daemos' dark sky had only a dim moon to illuminate it, and it didn't even seem like there were any stars. And I'm here wondering why darkness has overtaken the kingdom. Silly me.

The boys ran with me down the dim-lit path, barely able to see the marked dirt road beneath their feet. Darkness was essential in this situation, as we were on the run. It clouded the view of the pursuers that were probably after us. Or at least, after the boys. Wait, maybe Ava and I'd be charged for otherworldly trespassing or something.

That'd be fun to see them deal with in court. Just try and charge us, imma call my inter-dimensional lawyer.

Them, as in the royal court of Daemos. They're the ones that make all the bad decisions and the ones that appoint the horrid authoritative figures that rule the land. Why do I know this much? Rhys gave me a brief introduction to Daemos before we started running, which makes me question why he never thought to tell me earlier back on Earth. I mean, I sort of overheard a bit about Daemos when they had their meetings, but that's about it. Who knew Rhys had such opinions, being some fancy high-ranking woman's star pupil or whatever.

And apparently, the demon king had an even worse superiority complex than Asch. At least I know where he got those ideas now. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I actually almost ran into a tree, thanks to the shadows of the forest, but someone grabbed my hand at the last second and changed my course. That of course, sent me flying into the arms of whoever stopped me from becoming a tree hugger.

"Princess, how come you're so clumsy?" The person said, interlacing my fingers with his, pulling me along to catch up with the others who had already ran ahead.

Ah. I knew exactly who it was.

Leif.

Speaking of Leif, he was actually the one who suggested we started running, and that we should be heading to this bunker or something. That's what Leif described, anyway.

"I'm only clumsy, because everything's moving so quickly. It's like a fast paced RPG game." I said, panting.

To be honest, things seemed to move different on daemos. Even the air seemed to travel slower up and out your lungs. It probably has something to do with the air pressure. So, no wonder they were choking on air when I first met them. I mean, I'm not choking, but I'm smart and totally passed all my science classes when it came to stuff like this.

I remember once Zex left the clearing we had arrived at, we debated on what to do.

"We should head back to the palace. I have messengers that may be able to help find Ava." Asch had grumbled, waiting on the rest of us to agree with him.

"I don't think that's a good idea, what if we get caught?" Noi asked, getting behind me and placing his face on my shoulder.

"Yes. It's not smart to go back." Pierce stated.

"If we're talking regarding smart, I believe it'd be best if we go back. Lady Grandma likely has a plan for us. We must find her." Rhys expressed sternly, his eyes rigid.

"Knowing Zex, the royal guard is most likely hunting us down as we speak! I know Lady Grandma is important to you Rhys, but our lives are more important right now!" Noi argued.

"I have an old bunker somewhere around here. It's probably in the area, and we can go there and think things over." Leif said, eerily silent.

"All in favor?" I asked, eyeing the white-haired boy in the corner of my eye, wondering what was going on inside his head.

So we followed Leif, running through the forest, but still not getting anywhere. The trees all looked the same to me, so I don't know.

At one point, Asch got fed up.

"Leif, do you even know where you're going? We still haven't gotten there! You're crazy." He said, panting.

"Look, it's been years since I've been here. Just give me some more time, and I'll be able to find it." Leif said, crossing his arms.

"Time? We don't have time! We don't know where in the world Ava is, if we're going to die today, we have no way of knowing if someone's just going to ambush us and I'll be taken to my father." He said, shaking in fury.

"Look, this bunker is hard to find because it was designed to be. If even me, who co-owns the damn thing can't find it, it's really good, okay? I spent at least a whole year of time down there. And those were the worst days of my life. I remember that thing very clearly. You don't need to doubt me." Leif shouted.

"Okay, okay. Let's just go. We don't have time for this. We're going to draw attention to this area if you keep shouting." I said, getting in between the two tense daemos.

"Tch." Asch scoffed, walking ahead.

"Thanks, Princess. You're a real lifesaver, aren't you?" Leif said, his smirk back on his face.

He pulled me in for a short back hug, and I felt his hot breath graze over ear, and his soft lips latched onto the nape of my neck. My face heated up, my heart hammering in my chest as I felt his lips puckering. He planted a sweet kiss there, before pulling away.

"Better start running, you're literally the slowest out of all of us."

It sent a tingle through my body, and I recoiled, running out of his grasp and walking forward. He caught up to me quickly, before giving me the stink eye and dashing ahead at lightning speed.

"I'm only slow because you held me back there, Leif!" I yelled, running after him, who was already sprinting down the path.

And his throaty laugh echoed throughout the forest, ringing in my ears and warming my heart.

-
Heyo! Thanks you guys for 58K on fallen! I seriously don't know how it's made this far. I appreciate everything! Thanks so much uwu
-
edit : 03.18.2022
word count : 1057 words
guess who's back