Pope proceeded; "Every time we're in trouble, she's got us out of it! Has no one else realised this?"

He had a point.

Sonny had constantly saved their asses.

In fact, Sonny had saved their sorry asses more than she'd ever spoken to them, before this week. She had always shown her face, ready to get in trouble and save them when needed — like a guardian angel, but a mean one. A guardian devil, if that was an actual thing.

Then again, it wasn't always by choice. Since crossing paths after finding Scooter's boat, they just couldn't quite avoid one another. The last three days had merged them — brought an unlikely Kook into the mix, even if she didn't want to be. She just kept finding herself at the centre of everything, no matter how hard she resisted it. It was like a sixth sense; like she knew when they needed her to help, and she did. Every single time. Even when she told herself not to.

   After nearly getting caught by cops in the motel room, the Pogues thought she would have stayed away.

So had Sonny, really.

   But she showed up to save them.

   Then again, and again. And now, Sonny Penbrook was sat with them in the back of the twinkie, like she had been apart of their little group all her life.

Clearly, Sonny was meant to be caught up in this somehow. She was from the start.

"I just save your asses 'cause you're sloppy as shit," Sonny said with a shrug, gaining a disbelieving sigh from everyone around. She'd only been honest— they were sloppy. It made her wonder if everything she'd heard about them was a lie, because for a group of troublemakers, they never did a very good job. "What? It's true."

"We all know you want in, princess." JJ said.

   Her eyes narrowed.

The remaining trio exchanged looks, though John B's eyes kept flitting back to the road, so it was mostly Kiara and Pope wondering if they should let Sonny and JJ talk to each other without butting in, what with their track record of snapping. But they weren't blind; JJ and Sonny were different together, somehow. Sometimes fiery, sometimes soft, but still different. Always different, actually.

Noticeably, so.

JJ treated her differently. He hated Kooks, maybe more than anyone. He despised them and their Kook-y bullshit, he always had and he always would. JJ swore that to himself when only a child, but he didn't seem to hate Sonny.

   ...maybe?

   It was hard to tell, really.

Sure, he liked to antagonise her, but it wasn't really how he treated Topper, Rafe and the other Figure 8 scum. That said, Sony wasn't like the rest of the Figure 8 counterparts. Even if he wanted to treat her like a regular Kook, Sonny wasn't one. Not deep down, behind the nice clothes and expensive shades on her head. How could he treat her like a Kook, when Sonny was so much more like a Pogue?

Or would that end up being a big mistake?

"Really?"