#6 Olivia wanted you to have these

Start from the beginning

"On Thursday you'll mimic the right side partner and on Friday you'll switch to mimic the left side partner. On Friday the after school soccer game attendance is mandatory and you will remain handcuffed throughout. If your partner plays for the team then you'll get the handcuffs taken off right before kick off, you will then take your seat on the bench not the bleachers."

I felt physically sick when the handcuffs started getting passed around. My mind was going into overdrive trying to think of something to do or say to get out of the assignment but I was drawing a blank. A hard, shiny handcuff was planted on our table and I instantly cringed at the sight.

To my surprise Liam picked it up, he eyed it with great detail, sticking his tongue out slightly as he concentrated. He opened it. He closed it. He pulled at the chain with a strong force. He banged it on the table. He then put it down and rubbed the back of his neck looking puzzled. I gazed at him with expectation building behind my eyes. Then he raised his arm in the air.

"I'm not doing this. It's against my human rights and I refuse." his voice thick with menace and a glacial expression crossed his face, too cold for the arctic.

"Mr Maines, every assignment is mandatory if you want to pass my class. This assignment makes up 30% of your grades and you have to follow through with it to be able to write a paper at the end of the year."

Mr Hibbert's face remained straight and stern, I honestly don't know how he didn't crumble under Liams intense glare. The pair battled it out in an aggressive, narrowed eye staring contest. I knew Liam couldn't refuse to do this assignment because if he doesn't maintain his grades then he gets cut from the team, Liam would never let that happen.

I felt his shoulders sag from the impact of his sigh. Maybe this is it. The moment Liam Maines finally cowers down to a teacher. Silence filled the room and marbles glowed at Liam from every direction. I knew they were waiting for the same answer that I was.

"Whatever." Liam finally broke the silence.

He reached down, picked up his bag and stood up making his way to the door of the classroom. Oh my God, he was going to walk out and leave me hanging. As he reached the door he turned around with a cocky smirk plastered across his face and fished something out of his pocket.

Oh my God.

Cradling hot pink, lace panties in his hand he shot a glance at me and raised his eyebrows cheekily. Then he launched them towards Mr Hibbert. Poor Mr Hibbert caught them with his hands. I'm sure he was not expecting them to be a teenage girls panties because he dropped them immediately like he had just caught a ball of fire that burnt his hands.

"Olivia wanted you to have these." Liam announced before exiting the classroom.

I died.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. I could feel blood rushing around my head at rocket speed. My face was resembling a tomato, for sure. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole. In the mists of all this I forgot to study Ruby's facial expressions, to see if humiliation was coursing through her body as well as mine.

Classmates gawked with open mouths and wide eyes, completely speechless and Mr Hibbert just carried on with his lesson as if nothing had happened. My mind raced through what had just happened. The shame, the audacity, the way my actual name sounded on his tongue, the humiliation, the anger, the cheeky glint in his eyes.

"Tomorrow morning come to this psychology classroom first thing to get your handcuffs put on." Mr Hibbert shouted over the last bell. I scurried out of school faster than I ever have before and headed home.

***

Pop!

The sound of the toaster yanked me out of my thoughts, thankfully. The sweet fragrance of raspberry pop tarts oozed into my senses. I couldn't be bothered cooking anything decent tonight, the day had just been too overwhelming and I needed junk food to comfort me.

Sitting up onto the kitchen counter I started demolishing my pop tart. A shimmer of light caught my glaze from the patio doors. Darkness had fallen in the world outside since it was around 11pm but there was a tiny light flickering through the darkness right at the back of the garden.

I observed this light for a good few minutes trying to figure out what it was or where it was coming from. It seemed to sit stationary and after a while it went off. Was it coming from my tree house? Was someone in my tree house?

I weighed up my options. I could go out and investigate but let's face it I'm seventeen, home alone with nobody to call for help and nobody would notice if I was brutally murdered by my tree house killer. On the other hand I could make sure all the windows and doors were locked, take a weapon to bed & pretend the light was just coming from a neighboring house who had left a torch on outside or something.

I went with the latter option.

Settling down under a perfectly white duvet that fired out a comforting, tropical aroma caused by my shower gels mixing together with laundry detergent I closed my eyes and willed the powers that be to make tomorrow to be okay.