Prologue

"Do you ever get the near irresistible urge to cry when you look at people?"

Lei was staring at the sky, her gaze far away from Bel's puzzled face.

"No," he said. "All I ever feel is anger."

Leo slid his arm around Bel's shoulders, pulling the boy in against him. He smelled of chocolate and Tennessee Whiskey and fire. "All I ever feel is the urge to kiss them."

Lei's head snapped in his direction, a frown pulling her lips down. Her eyebrows were drawn together tightly and Bel reached over to smooth out the wrinkles with his thumb. He didn't like it when she was upset.

"You're drunk," Lei said.

"So are you," Leo replied.

In Bel's opinion, they were both drunk. There wasn't enough Southern in either of them to handle that whiskey. Hell, there wasn't any Southern in them at all. He took the bottle from Leo's loose grip. The twins watched him as he tipped his head back, inhaling a big gulp before flinging it into the bonfire.

The flames raged. The wood crackled and sparked. Leo howled with laughter, shaking against Bel. Lei's smile returned, mismatched eyes reflecting the blaze of the flames. She reached for his hand, twining her fingers through his.

For the first time in his life, something inside Bel felt right.