Chapter 6: I Need a Vacation

Y/N’s POV

Shawarma. I completely forgot about Physics.

I mean, it can’t be much worse than what’s already gone down today, right?

Wrong.

None of my friends were in Physics. Except for one person, but I wouldn’t exactly classify him as a friend at the moment. In fact, he’s the reason I’m practically having a panic attack in the school hallway. 

Yeah, I don’t think I need to tell you his name. 

Harry and MJ have been awesome today. And honestly, I think Harry’s more upset about this whole thing than I am. I mean, my will to live is virtually gone, but I don’t understand why that affects him so much. 

I shake my thoughts out of my head, rub my bloodshot eyes for the gazillionth time today, put my big-girl panties on, and walked into AP Physics pretending I was the queen MJ told me I was. I just realized what a sight I must’ve been. My hair hadn’t been brushed in three days so I’d just stuck it up in a messy bun and I was wearing sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt that Ethan had put in a bag for me. Those things would’ve been fine on their own, but paired with my face, I looked like I could fit right in with the Gorgon Sisters. I had no makeup on whatsoever, my skin was blotchy and dry, and my eyes looked like they’d been crying for days. Which, of course, they had. 

All the same, I march into the lab with as much confidence as I could possibly muster and defiantly take my seat next to the one and only Peter Benjamin Parker. There were still two minutes before class started, and I know they’re gonna be the most awkward of my life.  

“You look nice,” I hear Peter acknowledge, which I was not expecting. He’s still staring pointedly at the cover of his textbook, I don’t even think he looked at me when I walked in. As much as it hurts me to say, he’s the one person I actually mind seeing me like this.

Aside from the awkward and obvious, I thought we’d just sit in silence, ignoring each other for the rest of our lives. Not that I actually prefer this. It was a whole different kind of painful.

“Deciding to make lying a habit, I see,” I mumble back, hoping this would be the end of our “conversation”.

“I’m not a liar” I don’t think he meant for me to hear that, and honestly I didn’t have the energy to respond to it, either.

Four minutes later, Mr. Dell was still nowhere to be seen. Needless to say, the entire room full of nerds went absolutely berzerk, enjoying the lack of supervision like this was their last day to live. 

The only people not joining in on the communal craziness are sitting at the same bench, and consisted of a whole, whopping two people. Two guesses who.

“You excited for the trip?” The last thing I want to do is make small talk with my ex-boyfriend, and yet, it is still better than sitting in awkward silence like we’d been doing for the past ten minutes. 

“Yeah,” he finally looks up from his desk. I muster up enough courage to meet his eyes, and I instantly regret it.

His eyes are just as bloodshot, if not more so, than mine.

“What are you looking forward to most?”

“Not sure. There’s a lot on the agenda.”

“Yeah,” my voice drifts off as my thoughts become consumed with thoughts of where I’d been looking forward to going most: Paris. I’d always wanted to go there, a cliche that I will never actually admit to, but right now, the thought of City of Love just makes me wanna cry. Or hurl. Or both.