5.5

Violet's POV

"This is gonna be so awkward. I don't even like doing it with my own family." Michael whispered. "Alright kids, sit down." My grandma told us as we approached the long dining table. I had avoided Julianna for the past two days, up until this point. She sat on the end of the table, only three people away from me. I tried not to look at her. "So, Violet, where are you going to college?" Aunt Penny asked. "I don't know yet." "Juliana got accepted into NYU. Isn't that great? You could've applied." Like mother like daughter, apparently. "I totally could've, if I wouldn't have, you know, gotten amnesia? I totally forgot to put college on the high priority list when working on my health." "Violet," my dad warned from across the table. "Lay off would ya? We should be thankful she remembers us." Papa cut in, and everyone remained quiet. After a long discussion about the football game, I spoke. "Michael and I are leaving in the morning." "You haven't even been here for a week, you can't leave just yet. We haven't seen you in so long," Nanna protested. I hated the look in her eyes. I hated to disappoint her, and I hated the way Old Violet neglected to visit her. "I'll visit soon. I can drive now." I reassured her. "And bring Mikey here when you do," Papa added. I smiled.

As Michael bonded with the men of the family (Dad is surprisingly friendly with Michael) and Juliana, Marie, Penny and Nanna talked about things normal women care about, I sat on the couch in my own little world, texting Bea.

------------------------------

To: Violets Are Fucking Purple Despite The Poems

alright tell me about yesterday
i already know u guys did it but luke didn't give me details

-

To: The Birds And The Beas

I'm laughing how you guys immediately find out

-

To: Violets Are Fucking Purple Despite The Poems

Michael squeals like a school girl to luke. Then I force him to tell me all he knows. Unfortunately, he didn't get the details.

-
To: The Birds And The Beas

I refuse to tell you about my sex life
-
To: Violets Are Fucking Purple Despite The Poems

Come on. I hooked up with Cory on Tuesday, I told you about that
-
To: The Birds And The Beas

I didn't want to know about that. Ugh
-
To: Violets Are Fucking Purple Despite The Poems

Come on. Spill.
-
To: The Birds And The Beas

you're a sicko
-
To: Violets Are Fucking Purple Despite The Poems

inquisitive* a great friend* pretty cute*

-----------------------------------

"Violet?" "Hm?" I was broken from my train of thought by Nanna calling my name. "Us girls are going Black Friday shopping, do you want to come?" "I'm good here, but thanks for the invitation." I replied flatly. After they left, and the manly conversation was now about something I didn't bother to acknowledge, I slipped my shoes on and grabbed my keys.

It felt good, driving around, unaware of where I was going. I passed by several stores with busy shoppers waiting in line or hoarding the store like zombies. The small city held so many possibilities. After mindlessly exploring until I was sleepy, I turned around and headed back.