31.) Walk of Shame

Start from the beginning

I paced back and forth in my room for a few minutes, trying to calm myself down but it wasn’t working in the least. I was still freaking out and my heart was still pounding rapidly in my chest as I replayed the conversation in my mind over and over again in my head.

How could I tell him that? Why would I tell him that?

Well, I’ve told him everything else about me.

But this was something that I’d never told a soul.

But he’s Kale. He’s different.

He’d not that different, nobody should know what happened at the beach that day.

He’ll understand.

He’ll judge me.

Everything will be okay.

Everything is ruined.

“You don’t think you’d actually get away with that, did you?” Kale’s voice piped behind me.

I swung around with a loud squeal to see him standing in the door way with a worried smile on his face.

“Oh, hey.” I chirped nervously. “Shower, I have to do that.” I mumbled quickly, turning my back to him again and hurrying for the bathroom door. I’m pretty sure I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, I was surprised it hadn’t burst yet.

“Are you mad at me?” He asked, coming into the room more.

“No.” I said quickly. “I’m not mad.”

“Well, did I do something wrong?” He asked, taking a few more steps closer but I was unable to move from my spot in the bathroom doorway. I didn’t turn to face him, but it was sickening to hear the guilt drenching his beautiful voice.

“Kale, no.” I told him still refusing to face him. “Nothing’s wrong, honest. I just need to shower.”

“Babe, then what’s wrong? If it’s not something I did, it’s something and you can’t say there’s nothing wrong with you right now. Last night you were fine. You were way more than fine.” I blushed when I could easily sense his double meaning and I could practically hear the smirk on his cute face. “And now you’re avoiding me and it’s kind of freaking me out.”

I let out a small sigh, hating how easily he could break me down. I hated that. “My mom.” I breathed softly.

“What?” He asked, stepping closer to me and I felt his presence right behind me but he made no move to put his hands on me.

“I told you about my mom.” I said, just a little bit louder and my heart pounded faster and louder.

“Yeah…” He said, not really knowing what to say, because let’s face it- I sounded like a crazy person.

“I’ve never told anyone about that!” I nearly screamed, spinning around to face him with tears brimming my eyes but not actually falling- I couldn’t let them fall. “Nobody.”

“Hey.” He said softly, pulling me into a hug. The last of my defense was drained and I melted into his warm arms as I rested my head in the crook of his shoulder, taking deep calming breaths. “It’s okay. You know I’m here for you. If you don’t want me to talk about it, I won’t but I’ll be here for you when you do, okay?”

“Really?” I asked in more of a squeak but it was muffled by the skin of his shoulder.

“Of course.” He said, rubbing his hands up and down my back soothingly.

My nerves and bad mood had instantly vanished, giving me time to realize something. “You’re shirtless.”

He chuckled and pulled me closer to him so that my belly was pressed against his heart-melting abs. “You’re just noticing that?”