Chapter 19: The Investigation

4496 Words. I think this is a shorter chapter than usual but hey! I finally updated!!!

Morning.

The time of day Shoto Todoroki has come to despise with every fiber of his being. Everyone takes the teenager as someone who'd easily pass off as anything but a morning person for that matter. The only person that rivals his passion for sleep and long nights would be his homeroom teacher Mr. Aizawa. They're both practically cats! Given, they're cats because they'd sleep twenty two hours a day if given the chance. Besides cats, hedgehogs are only awake an hour or two on a regular basis. Today however, Shoto yearned for sleep more than that of a means to recharge or pass the time. Sleep was his blissful escape from reality. You could thank a man shrouded in darkness who found home within flames of ghostly blue for having Shoto enter slumber with a weeping heart. The dreams distracted him from the terrors of life to turn that pain into bliss. Now, he's awake and all those riled up emotions are back to eat at his fragile broken heart once more. Sadly, It's been years since the last time he's awoken to tears in his eyes.

"I went years without him," Shoto weakly opened up his eyes yet all he could see was his own blurry tears. "I see him once and I'm broken..." Touya... Why did you have to leave the family? For years the entire family was told he died in an accident but no... Shoto would've lived the rest of his life without a worry to breathe past him if he would've never been told the excruciatingly painful truth that his oldest brother hadn't died but rather left the family. The sibling he looked up to most abandoned him at the critical point in Shoto's life and right when shit hit the fan the traitor came back without an ounce of sorrow or guilt... And a villain of all things. If Shoto wasn't with (Y/n), he wouldn't think twice and take Touya to the grave last night. Too bad (Y/n) needs both him and Touya to solve her own mysteries. Anger and disappointment can make people do horrible things but love overpowers them all.

That's why Touya will live to see another day.

"Okay... Time to get up... I guess," Shoto typically has to give himself that man to man pep talk each morning or else he won't bother to leave the sheets. A silky heaven made of fabric as if passed down by the gods. For once, the initial wake up call worked like a charm as he pushed up on the mattress, yet a heavy weight kept his back planted to the mattress. He peered down, "Huh?" The teen tilts his head. (Y/n)'s head rested upon his chest like a pillow while the rest of her was slumped upon the floor. Painful, that's all he had to say about her sleeping position. "Hey (Y/n)," the boy laid a hand atop her head. He dug his fingers into her soft locks. Shoto meant to shake her awake but he couldn't help himself but to fiddle with (Y/n)'s hair. She didn't wake, meaning he had more time to play around. No... Now's not the time for this. The boy nudged his girlfriend gently once more after reluctantly removing his hand from her hair. "(Y/n) wake up... Or not," the boy sighed. Even in sleep she looks like an angel. "You can have the bed if you want."

Okay... (Y/n) really wasn't showing any signs of waking up. Shoto meant to lean in and give her forehead a warm kiss but his orbs could trace the faint trail of dried tears not only to the discoloration of the bed sheets but her cheeks as well. It was painstakingly obvious that they both cried one another to sleep. With a heavy heart, Shoto carefully cradled (Y/n)'s head to his chest as he arose and progressed to pick her up and lie her down gently upon the mattress. A blanket was laid upon her body one after the other as Shoto wanted her to be as warm and comfortable as possible. Shoto would be lying if he said he didn't think about (Y/n)'s condition every day. Her body can't create its own warmth. Bet it'd be heaven if she didn't have an ice quirk. That way, he wouldn't have to see her suffer. Okay, what's the point in thinking about this? It's not like she can get rid of her quirk. That's why he'll remain by her side and make sure she feels warm and welcome.