21. The Kid With The Potato Gun

Start from the beginning

"What's in it for me?" Harley handed Lucy an extra towel he had grabbed. She took it from him before sitting forward to answer his question.

"A family. You get bullied at school?"

"How did you know?"

"I can see a faint mark around your eye. So what do you say? You get me those things, I bring you back to New York with me and give you a better home and a family. Deal?" Lucy held her hand out for Harley to shake it to seal the deal.

The golden haired boy took her hand shaking it, "Deal."

"You know what's running through my mind right now?"

Harley smiled, "Where's your sandwich?"

"Bingo." After eating and chatting a little bit with Harley, the two left the garage, Harley showing Lucy around the town. The twelve year old let the brunette borrow a jacket. They walked by an electronics store. Harley stopped walking when he saw the brunette stop. Lucy walked in, the twelve year-old following behind as she walked over to look at the laptops.

"Lucy, you wanted me to get the laptop and phone for you," Harley reminded.

"I know," Lucy casually replied still observing the laptops. "I'll give you money to buy them."

"Do you even have money?" Harley sounded doubtful. Lucy took out money which she had left in her pocket along with a credit card. She held up the card and held it out for Harley to take it.

"Use this only to buy the phone and laptop, deal?" Harley nodded trying to take the card only to have Lucy move her hand away and around trying to have the kid grab the card. "What do you say?"

"Deal." Harley took the card and looked at it. Lucy chose the laptop and cell phone she wanted, both high tech gadgets but ones she would be capable of using without trouble. She handed the box for the laptop and phone to Harley and took the cowboy hat he wore as he walked up to the register. She stood nearby and listened as the cashier spoke with Harley.

"Cash or credit?" she questioned. Harley handed her the plastic card. "Says here this belongs to Miss Lucy Stark?" Lucy looked over to see Harley's reaction. He looked as if he were trying to comprehend what the cashier said. Sighing, the brunette walked over placing a hand on Harley's head.

"Yes, it does," Lucy spoke. Harley looked up at her as she thought up a quick lie, "This is.. my son. I let him use the card. We're buying my husband a Christmas gift." The cashier didn't seem to recognize Lucy and took in the lie believing it to be true. Lucy walked out of the store with Harley carrying a bag which held the laptop and phone.

"Great lie, Lucy," Harley spoke as they walked back to the garage to drop the laptop and phone off.

"Kinda had to do the same thing with Steve, but at that point say he was my fiancé," Lucy replied looking to Harley with a smirk. They walked back into town after dropping the new items off at the garage.

"What's Steve like?" Harley asked as they walked down the side walk.

"The most caring gentleman I've ever known," Lucy replied with a small smile on her face. She looked to her right to see a dead end alley with candles lit against the wall and began walking toward it, Harley following. "What's that?"

"Last year when Tony was here, he was believed dead because of an attack on his mansion by a guy called "The Mandarin." Harley sat down on the ground, Lucy sitting next to him. "One of the guys working for the dude had this thing where he could explode but caused five other people to die when he did. This is set up as a memorial due to that. The candles are to be lit each December for the victims." Lucy stayed silent after hearing Harley explain what the memorial was about. "You know I heard about what happened in D.C. Pretty cool how you guys took down those Helicarriers-"

Lucy put her head in her hands, "Harley stop-"

"And the leader of what's it called-"

"Stop, kid."

Harley continued, "And the Winter Soldier, he actually seems cool-"

Lucy lifted her head and looked at Harley, "What did I just say, kid? Stop."

"I'm sorry-"

"Are you?"

"I didn't mean too. I didn't know."

"Well now you do."

"Are you having a panic attack?"

"-Maybe."

"Do you take medication?"

"-Yes, though I haven't taken it in a while."

"Do you have PTSD?"

"Harley let me tell you one thing about the Winter Soldier - he's not as cool as he once was."

"What do you mean?"

"I-" Lucy sighed before standing up and starting to walk away leaving Harley behind.

"Wait, Lucy!" The brunette dropped to her knees when she reached the dead end sign and picked up some snow rubbing it against her face. Harley walked over and was about to speak but stayed silent when he saw three kids on four wheelers pull up.

"Hey Harley, who's the chick, your 'girlfriend'? Seems very unlikely for you," the leading kid spoke.

"Stop it, E.J.," Harley said defensively. "Do you know who this is? This is the amazing Lucy Stark." As Harley was speaking, Lucy was trying to get his to keep quiet but couldn't do anything due to the ongoing panic attack she was currently having.

E.J. scoffed, "Yeah right. In your dreams, loser." He drove away with his friends, keeping the brake on before driving away causing snow to be pushed back on Harley. He looked to Lucy when they were gone.

"What the hell was that?" He questioned referring to the panic attack. Lucy looked at him after picking up a ball of snow and throwing it at him. The golden haired boy helped the brunette stand up before they began walking again. Lucy stopped when they stood in front of a fenced area with Christmas trees.

"Hey, how 'bout we get a tree?" Lucy questioned putting her arm around Harley's shoulders. He shrugged. "How about we just look anyways?" The kid nodded. They looked around at the different trees. Most were fur green, others spray painted white. They decided to go back to the garage after looking at the trees.

A/N: Yay, Harley! FYI: During the conversation between Harley and Lucy about her panic attack, the hyphen in front of Lucy's dialog indicates she is speaking at the same time as Harley. Just a note for future references.