Chapter Six

Sirius loved Halloween. He loved it a lot. He loved it more than summer. He loved it more than girls. Sometimes he loved it even more than James and Remus. Halloween was the prank of all pranks, the laugh of all laughs, and the mess of all messes. Halloween was simply his day.

In first year, Sirius, with the help of his new friends: Peter, James, and Remus, he had poisoned the seventh year's pumpkin juice with a shrinking potion so that they shrank two feet smaller than their original size, and became a laughing stock.

In second year, he had aided James in bewitching the sky to rain live bats at precisely seven O'clock, much to the dismay of all the other students, who were unaware that the bats would vanish after only five minutes of flying through people's hair, leaving a very disgruntled student body.

In third year, Sirius had magically floated himself up to the girl's dormitories and egged all their walls. Ever since then, it had been determined that an annual Halloween prank would take place every year.

This year, he was unsure of what to do. As he and his friends were getting older, and they were approaching a year full of studying for OWLS, Sirius wanted to do something memorable and exciting rather than gross or infuriating.

As he stared at the ceiling from his four-poster bed in the Gryffindor boy's dormitory, Sirius heard a loud crreeeeeeaaaakkk from the bed behind him, and turned his head to see a very rumpled James Potter climbing out of bed, and stumbling around the room blindly in a mad search for his contacts.

"On the dresser, mate. Just like they are everyday," Sirius chuckled at his friend's ability to become a seventy-year-old man in the mornings.

"Right," James grumbled, and stumbled over to the oak dresser, running his hands over the top of it, knocking over almost all of the items on it before screaming, "Found them!", at the top of his lungs and hoisting two small eye contacts in the air, then proceeding to apply them.

He turned around, blinking widely and massaging the sides of his temples, "You like?"

Sirius squinted to see what exactly James was talking about before it finally dawned on him: "You have green eyes."

"Yep," James said proudly. "Do you think Lily will like them?"

Sirius laughed, shaking his head, "I thought only girls changed their eye color."

"Yeah, well so do blokes if it means that girls will notice them."

"James, she's already noticed you, and I'm pretty sure that she wishes that she hadn't. Besides, just because she has green eyes doesn't mean that she'll like them on you!"

James shook his head, "Whatever, doesn't matter anyways. What are we doing today?"

"You see, I was hoping that you would know that one."

"But I was depending on you," he punched Sirius in the shoulder frustratedly. "You do it every year!"

"Actually, there was that one year..."

"I told you we were forgetting that year! We all swore on it!"

"Right," Sirius groaned, rolling off the bed in a cocoon of blankets. "You mean that year when..."

"Don't you dare!", James moaned, narrowing his hazel eyes. "I'll silence you!"

"That year when you decided what we were doing and you decided that-"

"Silencio!", he interrupted, pointing his wand at Sirius's astounded face. Sirius continued his story of the dreadful Halloween, not noticing that there was no sound escaping his lips, using wide hand motions and walking around the room like he was giving a college lecture, at which James tried very hard not to laugh at; it was hard to give a college lecture while wearing only your boxers and expect to be taken seriously.