12; real life

Ashton stood up straighter, pointing her finger in Timothèe's face. "No. That is unacceptable. I refuse to believe that you like Six. No," she said, shaking her head.

"It's a good musical!" he protested. She scoffed.

"If you want a real musical, listen to Mean Girls. Or Dear Evan Hansen," she said.

"I like Dear Evan Hansen, but I've never listened to Mean Girls," he said, shaking his head slightly.

"You ruined it," she said solemnly.

"Ruined what?"

"The thing where a boy is not unintelligent or unattractive." He laughed.

"This is a test, isn't it? That's from The Fault in Our Stars."

"Yes. Good job. Your homework tonight is to listen to the cast recording of Mean Girls," she stated. "I'll walk you down."

"You don't have to," Timothèe protested weakly. "Zero will miss you." He gestured to the fluffy dog perched on the couch.

"I'll bring him," she decided. "He needs his walk anyway." She grabbed the leash off of the table and fastened it to Zero's collar, scooping him up.

Timothèe sighed, shaking his head. He knew he wasn't going to win this battle.

She set Zero down to tie a yellow sweater around her waist and smiled brightly at him.

"It's almost 80 degrees outside," Timothèe said skeptically, eyeing the cardigan.

"It's for the outfit. C'mon, we don't have all day."