Chapter IV

where were you?

"He'll be leaving—"

Bago ko pa man masabi na huwag na lang ay kinuha na ng guwardya ang telepono.

Pagbalik ko ay naroon na si Victoria at kumakain na nang agahan.

Kumaway ito sa kinauupuan. "Sweetie!"

Umupo ako sa tabi nito. Nakatingin lamang ito sa akin at naghihintay ng sasabihin.

"How'd you react when everybody thinks you killed your own father?"

She smiled without humour. "I don't think I'll be the right person to answer that."

"What do you mean?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I never met my dad." she paused. "But I know that you didn't."

"How'd you know that? How'd you know I wasn't capable of doing that?"

"I've seen different eyes. They tell what people can't speak."

I don't know how I should feel. It's strange to find comfort on a stranger's words than people you thought you knew.

"You'll be out here. For sure." she reassured me. "It's we...who's rare to go. Well, I've been here for 10-ass years just because there were no other people to convict." she laughed.

I couldn't find any word to speak. I never thought racism was this bad.

Days have passed, but it almost felt like I've been here my all life.

"Hey." it was the guard. "Someone sent you a book." sabay lusot nito sa masikip na barandilya.

Bago pa man ako makapagtanong kung sino ang nagbigay ay umalis na ito.

Tinignan ko ang itim at dilaw na libro.

Boy in the Tower.

Ade.

Dear George,

I wasn't able to send you a letter last week cause mom forced me to go with her on a trip. I forgot what it was called.. but it was hell to just sleep on the hotel room all day even though there's basically a beach outside.
     Anyway how's your parents? Are they still fighting? Don't worry I'll be here for you...

Ade
January 15, 2005

It was a letter. An old friend's letter. But how did it ended here?

"Don't forget to bring your letters tomorrow! The school will send them for you. Do you understand? Henry! You're not supposed to go out while I'm still talking!"

Miss Dinese, my English teacher. She tasked us to make a simple letter to send to our friends. She said it is a good way to practice our English.

I turned my gaze to look at my classmate, Henry, running to finally end his class. I silently laughed.

Before Miss Dinese was able to say goodbye someone interrupted the class, my dad.

"Is it done yet?"

My teacher shyly nodded. She then pointed at me.

"How's school, hm? Finally made friends?" he said while starting the car.

He laughed. "What's that look?"

"They don't like me—coz my hair is too...curly and they say I look like a zombie." I sighed.

"Who said that?"

"Never mind dad, maybe we should just move again."

How am I suppose to make a letter when I don't have friends?

It's been an hour since I started writing, but there's nothing to talk about especially when you have no one to tell it to.

"Dad! Why won't you just let me make a letter and send it to the Philippines. I have like cousins there—on my age!" I insisted.

We are eating dinner and my dad won't let me make a letter for my cousins.

"That's too far away—your letter might not make it to them."

"Ah, don't be so difficult George!" my mom.

"I'm not!" I rolled my eyes.

"Kukurutin kita diyan, 'wag mo kong iniirap irapan!"

There she goes again. Talks like I understand everything she says.

"What if we just address it here? I mean put the address here—"

"The mailman might be confused and return it to the school, plus you Miss Dinese will know."

I crossed my arms and stopped eating.

I've been very excited to have a friend. This is my only chance to meet one.

I sighed.

"Just put a made up address honey, and sleep early so you'll at least grow big."

"George! Hurry up the school bus will be here anytime soon!"

"You won't hatid—"

"I need to fix some stuff here." they were both looking at each other intently. "Oh there you are." he turned to me.

I waited on our porch when I remembered.

The letter!

Dear Ade,

Hi! :)) to whoever you might be.. you are now called Ade, if you wonder why... read what my mom reads for me.. its called boy in the tower, though my dad wont like me talking to boys. its a good book because he loves his mom but i dont remember that much because i always fell asleep every time. I hope youre doing good, i dont have much friends you could be if you want to but if you have more than enough ill be okay. I hope you a girl so we can paint our nails together

❤️George❤️
September 12, 2004

Just after I read my letter, the bus appeared in front of our house. I hopped in.

I sat to the last row and they were all looking at me like I've done something.

I was about to return my letter on my bag when I saw an opened letter.

An idea came to me.

I smiled.