A Few Good Men

- 5 hours before -

"Vincente must I go tonight?" I asked while sitting down on a wooden stool, looking at myself in the mirror of my chamber. I was in the process of adjusting the emerald necklace around my neck.

My brother looked over at me like I was dumb, I was being serious. I caught him giving me the "are you serious" eye, so I stopped and scoffed, turning around from my seat to face him as I placed my hands in my lap politely.

"Iris I know this is not your thing but we must find you a suitor."

Vincente gave me a serious look while wrapping his sword belt around him. I sighed not wanting to look at him.

"If I may-"

"No, you may not. This is final Iris."

He cut me off. Jerk. I inhaled sharply and decided it would be better to shut up, because arguing with Vincente would be pointless. He always wins.

I understand I need to find a suitor to marry off with but there's someone else in my heart that he doesn't know about, no one does. I nodded and stood up, petting my dress down to flatten out any wrinkles.

"Will you be attending tonight?" I asked deciding to change subject away from me.

"I'm afraid not, there's someone I have to receive a message from. Will you be alright?" He asked walking towards me.

I sighed as he put his hands on my shoulders. I looked over at him with disappointment.

"So who's going to tell the drunk man this time that you're not a servant?" I teased

"Ah, very funny."

"You're always occupied in the woods, why must you feel so responsible for others?"

"It's who I am."

"So you don't ever fear for you life out alone in those haunted woods?"

I tried scaring him into staying for tonight's event but he wouldn't budge.

"Ha, you must be joking. I believe the only scary thing I see in the woods is that boy of yours."

Vincente shot me a smile as he raised his eyebrows, it was the expression of "You've been caught." I decided not to say anything. I clenched my fist as he walked out of my room.

"It's not polite to spy on people!"

I walked to the hallway of my chamber door to see Vincente walking away. I smirked at him when I called him out in front of everyone. All the nobles were looking at him like he was being creep.

I laughed under my breath as he turned and looked at me. I gave him a small shrug while he rolled his eyes and proceeded to turn around to continue walking.