Chapter Two: The Weaving

Start from the beginning

The Healer led him to the right. Grimsby began to realize they were heading in the direction of an intermittent noise that grew louder as they approached. They made a turn and arrived at a room housing the source of the noise. Two guards stood outside the room while inside, a baby cried alone in a cot.

'What is this?' demanded Grimsby. 'Why isn't he being attended to?'

Dandridge picked up a chart from a wall hanging and replied, 'The guards are only here for security. We've been instructed not to enter except on regular intervals, and the record does show that the patient was seen under an hour ago.'

Grimsby was still vexed, 'So, the rest of the time, he's just left here on his own and ignored?'

The Healer did not reply, so Grimsby used his wand to flash his magical badge at the guards. They waved their own wands over the doorless entrance to the baby's room, and a two-tiered magical barrier became visible for a moment before dissolving into the air.

Grimsby entered with Dandridge. He watched her assess the baby with a glowing green light from her wand and then she muttered some words under her breath before telling him, 'Just needed a change.'

He then picked up the baby and cradled it in his arms. One of the guards approached as if to object to this contact but seemed to think better of it after a glare from Grimsby.

After bouncing baby Gideon for a few minutes, his cries gradually diminished, and he nodded off. Grimsby realised his anger had to be partly prompted by thoughts of his own baby boy, and hoped someone would do the same for him if circumstances were different.

Grimsby made another mental note, this time to review policy on this matter. He suspected there wasn't anything specifically related to unaccompanied minors. After all, they were in uncharted territory here.

The Healer's stern expression had softened, as had her tone, 'I apologise if I was curt with you before, Mr Grimsby. It was short-sighted of me to assume the person overseeing the procedure would be a typical Ministry lackey. I suspect we find ourselves in similar situations. If you ask me, this business sullies the healing profession. However, only a Healer would have the skills necessary to perform the procedure, and I volunteered to ensure that mistakes can be avoided, if possible.'

Grimsby had calmed down now. He found Dandridge's words and confidence reassuring but he also lost any hope of being able to file an appeal. He admonished himself for even thinking that was an option given what a mistake could mean when such intricate magic was involved.

Another Healer arrived at the entrance. She kept her distance and announced, 'The Theatre has been prepared, Sister.'

She departed and Dandridge gestured for Grimsby to return the baby to the cot. He did so and followed her out. The guards recast barrier spells with their wands but this time directly on the cot like a bubble. They then proceeded to levitate it out of the room and down the hall towards the lift.

Grimsby and Dandridge followed them to the lift area and then onward, through the now-open heavy doors, which were promptly closed behind them by its guard. Grimsby peered into the windows of the rooms they passed. He saw some interesting healing magic at work and even caught a glimpse of what he thought sure was a dragon before a bright flash caused him to avert his eyes.

At the very end of the corridor, was the Ritual Spell Theatre. It was different from the other rooms he had seen or any of those on the floors above. Its torch-lit stone walls resembled those of a dungeon, but the floor appeared to be smooth and metallic.

Grimsby was directed to the right-hand side, where the stone wall jutted out into tiered levels. He surmised that this was an observation area and took a seat on the third level. From that height, he could just about see into the cot in the middle of the room. That didn't matter, though, as the cot was suddenly dismantled, leaving only baby Gideon floating in the centre of the room, above a large circular marking on the floor.