Especially when you compared it to what she was about to do and who she was about to do it for. Hell, she might as well have shown up with gold in her ears and pearls on her neck if she wanted to seem like the biggest Kook of all time. Maybe it was best if she just drowned herself now.

   Eat the rich, and all that shit.

    "What're you doing out here, troublemaker?"

   Sonny jumped out of her skin, eyes wide. "Jesus, dad!"

   She stumbled around to look at her father, shooting him a rude look that screamed what the hell is wrong with you? and let out an irritated sigh.

   Her father looked amused by her struggle, "You okay? Or do I gotta fetch you a lifejacket?"

"Funny," she muttered.

   He snickered.

   Sonny flipped her ponytail over her shoulder in an effort to act nonchalant, which — unlike John B's attempt earlier that afternoon — was pretty convincing. Her father didn't seem to suspect anything, just yet.

    "You just caught me off-guard, s'all."

    "Right..." he nodded, "Off-guard."

   Sonny frowned.

    "Maybe I'll catch you a life-guard too," he joked.

   Ugh.

She liked Ed Penbrook, of course she did. But sometimes, she got sick of his shitty jokes.

   He thought he was hilarious when he wasn't. At least, not to Sonny. Not anymore. As a kid, she thought he was the funniest guy ever. Kids were easily amused.

   Even Sonny.

   Most of the Outer Banks found him funny, though, which didn't help— Kooks, Pogues and Tourons alike. It could have been the fact Kooks usually had no personality whatsoever, so the change in pace made him ten times funnier, or the money in his pocket felt like a good incentive to laugh. Either way, it seemed like some people actually got a kick out of his terrible jokes. Apparently it was only Sonny who didn't. Then again, deep down, she secretly loved it as much as she had when she was a kid. Not that she'd admit it.

   Even Sonny's mom laughed at some of them. Maybe that was just apart of being in love; laughing at their horrifically bad jokes, and shit like that. Sonny wouldn't know. She had never been in love.

    "Your jokes suck," she told him.

   Ed frowned, "Rude."

   She shrugged, sending him a sarcastic smile.

   John B had left an hour earlier. He hadn't gone intentionally, so to speak. Instead, Sonny's mother had knocked on the door to ask what she wanted for dinner, so John B clambered back out of the room the way he came in.

   When she said he clambered out...

Sonny pushed him.