04. The Breaking Point

Start from the beginning

“What is going on? What about Adam?”

Lia comes into my room with her laptop. “Have you been on Facebook yet today?”

“No. What does that have to do with Adam?”

Lia stayed quiet, not answering the question.

“What’s going on Lia? What are you not telling me?”

“I hate to be the one to do this, but you have the right to know. Look for yourself. Please don’t kill the messenger.”

Lia set her laptop on my desk. The Facebook login page was already up. “Log on.”

I wasn’t sure why but the pit of my stomach dropped. I knew what I was about to see was horrible. The way Lia was acting told me it all. She was never good at lying but she never was afraid of telling the truth either.

Slowly I put in my email and password. After a short debate of whether to press enter or not, I clicked on the login button. Already the notification logo had 15 red flags. I didn’t need to click it to know what it was for. The only thing I need to see to know was the first feed post.

Adam had left me a message on Facebook for all our friends and family to see.

“lol did you really think i wanted to marry a bitch like you. your fucking stupid if you are still waiting. i never wanted you in the first place you came to me. you wanted me to wait and take it slow while there are so many other vaginas out ther i can have.  it was funny while it lasted. dont fucken call me again.”

The comments under didn’t get any better. Before I could force myself to continue to read I closed my eyes to it.

“Take it away. Log me off and take it away. I don’t want to see it right now. Take your laptop and leave me alone.”

“Cari...” Lia started to say to me.

“No, Lia. Not now. I don’t want to talk about it. I need to be alone. Don’t tell mom and dad.”

“Okay. I’m sorry. Let me know if you need anything.” Lia said as she took her laptop away closing the door behind her.

I’m not sure when the tears came. It may have started somewhere in between grabbing the bottle of vodka, Adam had hid in a secret hole, and the eighth drink right out of the bottle. Who knows, I was delirious with what was happening in my life. I had hit rock bottom. Everything I knew was turning out to be some huge lie. I don’t know why I couldn’t have seen it earlier. How was it that everything changed so quickly overnight?

At some point during the night I must have crawled into my bed, holding onto the empty vodka bottle. I woke up with a tear streaked face. My hair was sticking every which way. I had nothing but an empty hole in my heart with no way to fix it. I didn’t even try to get out of bed. Laying there I rethought everything over. Tears followed down the side of my face reaching ticklish parts of my head.

The hangover was horrible. Even if I wanted to move out of bed, my body was not having any of it. Any movement had me nauseous.

How could this have happened? There were so many lies running around in my head. I thought we had trust in what was said between us. He told me it was fine when I told him I wanted to wait longer to get intimate. He said I would be worth the wait. I had come to his party he was throwing at his request. He had talked to me there. He asked me out and continued to do so until I finally said yes. All his lies made me seem like the desperate unrelenting girl he made me out to be.