Chapter 19 - Second chance

Once Yeosang ushered me back to sickbay, he started dressing my wound.

He apologized for his crew's harshness and said not to take it by heart.

I try not to think about Seonghwa's harsh words and the others' suspicion. But it's really upsetting when they see me as a foe. I have an impulse to scream that I'm here to save you guys' lives in their faces but that will create more unnecessary scenes.

When Yeosang finished aiding me, he let me rest in the sickbay. And he reassured me again to not worry and take a good sleep.

He is such an angel. I don't deserve him.

Yeosang lights up several lamps inside the room before leaving. The light eases my uneasiness but I lie wide awake for an hour. I feel fatigue but my brain refuses to shut down.

Then I hear a shift next to my bed.

The petite figure slowly sits up while grabbing at the back of her neck. Aurora looks confused and then she breaks into tears when she realizes she is still on the ship.

"Hey." I call her and get up.

She gasps when she sees me, "What happens to you?"

"Um, I got into a fight with the merchant."

"Oh my," Her hands cover her mouth, "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." Well partly, if she didn't warn the merchant. But things are out of her control anyway, I can't blame her. Still, I don't know whether the trio reported her escape attempt to Hongjoong or not. If they did, I'm not sure how he would react.

"Did you get the map?" She asks.

"Yes."

"Did you give it to the pirates?"

"Yes."

"Why?" Her face distorts in bewilderment,"Why do you have to risk your life helping the like of them? They're cursed because they're bad people."

I scratch my head, thinking of a reasonable answer. Because I don't think she likely to listen to my stupid riddle respond.

I'm helping them because they're fanfiction's Ateez. That's how the story goes. But technically speaking, Ateez are cursed because of their wickedness but they'll eventually change into a better person.

"I think some bad people deserve a second chance. Don't you think so? Why are they just only cursed but not sentenced to death right away."

She stuns for a second and says, "How are you so sure that they're going to change?"

"Um, I don't know for sure but judging from the way they treat us and the fact that we are still alive, maybe their souls aren't completely dark."

"Is it really worth it?"

"Yes, definitely worth it. And you, will you give them a second chance?"

I notice her uneasy expression.

"No need to answer me. But tomorrow I think they may need your answer."

She'll have to decide whether she will tell them about the map or not. I pray that she will be inclined by my subtle persuasion but who knows what she thinks.

Once I lifted a mountain out of my chest and put onto Aurora's, I fell asleep right away leaving the poor female lead lying awake in a dilemma.

---