11 - Temptation

The wind whipped my hair around my face as I stepped above deck and breathed it in, a small smile on my lips as I did.

After another week, we were finally able to dock at a small island that grew the Amrita Vein flower. Our ship was now stocked with barrels full of the dried plant, and my headaches have practically ceased.

After fourteen days at sea without Ramadu's island in sight, the ocean was finally on our side. The winds were no longer roaring and the waves had stopped tossing our ship around.

I smiled as I took in the crisp, salty air, finally feeling it on my skin and in my hair after a week. Reepicheep hopped across the boards next to me.

"Lovely to see you on your feet again, Macey!" He called up to me. I smiled and crouched next to him, offering my arm. He scampered up and perched himself on my shoulder.

"Better than ever, Reep." I grinned. "Thank you." I walked over to the wheel and smiled at Drinian, following his eyes to the empty horizon.

"Still nothing, Captain?" I asked.

The man flicked his focus from the sea to me momentarily.

"We've been searchin' all morning and night, but the most we've come across is..."

He was cut off as a horn blew, the lookout from the crow's nest leaned over the edge.

"Land Ho!" He shouted. Reepicheep leaped off my shoulder and onto the edge of the boat, scurrying along it to see the land for himself. Drinian's mouth fell open before turning up into a smirk-like grin.

"Perhaps you are our lucky charm, Your Majesty. We needed you on deck." He chuckled.

"I guess so." I smiled.

I turned as I felt a tap on my shoulder and accepted my sword from a sailor, thanking him softly. Caspian appeared at my side as I strapped it around my waist and slung his arm over my shoulder, grinning down at me.

Drinian looked grumpily at the king as we loaded onto the longboats.

"We're at half-rations, with food and water for two more weeks maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties. There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon." He said. He walked with us as we began to board the longboats. 

Edmund and Lucy loaded into the boat and the Captain helped me in beside them. "We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

Edmund snickered and adjusted his grip on the oars as Eustace climbed in next to me. "Or get eaten by a sea serpent." 

Drinian's face didn't even so much as twitch in amusement. "I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing... the likes of which I've never seen before."

Caspian sat next to Edmund and squinted out to the land, thinking momentarily before answering. "We'll continue with running aground, and see what food and resources we can find. I'll make a decision then. I'll even announce it myself."

Drinian nodded and our boat was lowered, a handful more following. Baskets and barrels were brought on land in case we found more food.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege. There's no sign of anything living." A sailor piped up as our boats scraped upon the land.

Caspian nodded. "Take your men and search for food and water as best as you can. The four of us will look for clues." He gestured to the Pevensies and me.

"Hang on, you mean the five of us," Eustace said from beside me. We all exchanged uncomfortable glances. "Come on, please don't send me back to the rat." He pleaded.