1 - The Calling

Please read before continuing!!
For this book, I'm doing something a little different in order to aid the plot. As much as I hate it, I'll be having to switch back and forth between different characters' points of view for a little bit (as I did in Our Angel, in the scene with Peter, just more often). There will be a point in the book where it goes back to being Macey's POV all the time, and you'll understand when you get there. Each chapter will be labeled with who's perspective it is, so it should be pretty easy to follow along. Thank you for reading! -meg<3

Macey's POV

I sighed in exasperation and snapped my book shut. There was no use trying to read it, as my focus has been going in and out for hours.

I glanced over to the telephone on my desk, then my watch. My foot tapped anxiously as I waited for the clock to strike two. Lucy would call the moment it did, but not a moment sooner.

Pulling a hand through my recently cut hair, I stood from my bed and wandered out to my small patio, soothing down my dark purple skirt as I did. The patio was nothing like the ones we had in Narnia, and there was certainly no room for tea. But it was a great place to enjoy the breeze, and today the smells of the bakery wafted right to me.

I climbed onto the lower beam of the railing, where I was just able to see the courtyard garden that was a couple of streets over. I gripped the top of the railing as I closed my eyes, soaking up the rare warm Finchley sun.

My eyes opened and landed on the white house next to mine, specifically the window straight across from me. The wooden swing rocked gently with the wind, the creaking of the ropes reaching my ears.

It never felt the same since the Pevensies had left. The day it was announced still sent chills down my spine every time I recounted it.

"Push harder, Macey!" Susan laughed. I groaned and planted my feet in the ground, shoving her back with all I had.

"You're heavy, Susan! You've got to pump your legs!" I laughed as she swung back farther on the wooden swing, nearly knocking me off my feet. I caught the ropes on either side of her and laughed, slowing her to a stop.

"Your turn, Lu!" Susan smiled as she stood from the swing and brushed off her skirt. Lucy brought her eyes from her book and leaped to her feet from under the tree.

"Girls," Mrs. Pevensie's voice called from the back door just as I pulled back the ropes of the swing to propel Lucy. Peter stepped out by her side, his face nervous and his hands shoved in his pocket. "Please come inside. Your father and I have something to tell you. You too, Macey. Your mother is here."

Lucy sighed as I slowly released the ropes and she stood from the swing. "All right, I get the first turn when we're finished!" She said, looking at Susan and me. We nodded with a smile and headed into the house. Edmund met me as I walked through the kitchen.

"Aren't you three a bit mature to be playing on the run-down swing?" He smirked as he grabbed my hand. I dropped my jaw in faux shock.

"Us? Mature? Never." He laughed and shook his head.

"Ah, you were once, don't forget." He grinned. I laughed softly, but my smile melted the second he turned away. Thinking about Narnia was difficult. It had been another year since we'd been, and I was more than anxious to return.

Lucy sat at my side on the couch and Edmund sat on my other as we reached the living room, Susan and Peter sitting on the opposite. I smiled at the deja vu, the scene significantly resembling the time our mothers informed us we would be going to the Professor's. If only we knew what kind of adventure we'd be getting ourselves into.