8 - The First Nightmare

"I promise Lu, it's okay. Three girls on a bed wouldn't be as comfortable as you think. I can just bunk with Ed." I smiled, holding Lucy's arms. She nodded uncertainly.

"All right, but feel free to always change your mind. Sleep well. I'll see you two in the morning." She gave me a tight hug before retreating to her cabin.

Edmund finished his conversation with Caspian, walking over to my side and holding his hand out for me. I took it with a yawn.

"Do you have a shirt I could borrow?" I asked with a small smile. He looked me over and laughed.

"Yes, and some pants. I refuse to sleep next to you if you're wearing leather pants."

I nodded and followed him down to the sleeping chambers. He passed me a shirt and pants of his and pointed to a small room to the side that I could change in.

I went in and quickly slid out of my clothes, giggling softly to myself as I was swallowed by his clothes. I neatly folded my shirt and pants and walked out of the room, holding my arms and legs out with a large grin. Edmund turned and laughed with me.

"I forgot how small you were." He grinned as he tugged on the bottom of the shirt, which ended around the middle of my thigh.

I put my clothes on a small trunk at the end of his hammock and glared. "I am not small," I said. "You just grew too fast. I didn't know I had to catch up."

Edmund rolled his eyes and plopped in his hammock, moving to one side and opening his arms for me. I cautiously crawled in beside him, resting my head on my chest while he wrapped his arms around me.

He kissed my forehead gently and I smiled, closing my eyes and enjoying his warmth. I quickly drifted off to the sound of his soft breathing.

When I opened my eyes, light was streaming down from the top deck, the dust floating through the air clear against the rays of the sun. I sat up, stretched, and looked around.

A frown pulled on my lips. The sleeping chambers were completely empty, and by the humid air, it seemed to be mid-afternoon. Why did no one wake me?

I quickly changed and emerged from the lower deck, blinking my eyes at the bright sun. Looking around, I spotted Lucy, Edmund, and Caspian in a huddle, laughing loudly. I grinned and walked over to them.

"Good morning!" I said as I placed a kiss on Edmund's cheek.

The laughter ceased as they all looked over at me. Lucy cleared her throat and moved her eyes to the floor, scuffing her boot on the wooden boards. Edmund wiped the cheek I had just kissed with a repulsed face. I frowned, then looked to Caspian. His expression was distasteful as well.

I chuckled awkwardly. "What's going on with you three?" I asked. I looked to Edmund and put my hand on his arm. "Is everything okay?"

The raven-haired boy moved further from me so that my hand would fall from his arm. "Erm... yeah, we're fine. Do you need something or something?"

I flinched away from him, furrowing my eyebrows. What the hell? I turned to Lucy, frowning.

"Did I do something? Are you upset with me?" The girl snorted and leaned closer to Caspian.

"It's more like what she can't do." She said, not very quietly. Caspian laughed loudly and nodded, then turned to me.

"Why don't you just go and find an ice pack, put it on your head. Wouldn't want you getting a little headache now would we?" He and the Pevensies burst into laughter, while I stumbled back a step.