5 - Lucy The Valiant

Lucy's POV

Caspian, Edmund, and I joined the Captain on the port side of the boat, Caspian taking the spyglass from him to eye the island ahead. The men started a grave-toned conversation, but I did not try to include myself in it. Instead, I turned my attention to the island.

It was a shadowed and abandoned-looking land. Fear trickled down my spine, but I quickly disregarded it. I am Queen Lucy the Valiant. A little old island will not frighten me.

I gripped the short sword that Caspian had loaned me as we boarded the longboats. I sat in the middle with the ever complaining Eustace while Edmund and Caspian rowed us towards the island to explore.

Once our boat lightly bumped the edge of their concrete ports we carefully stepped off, avoiding the puddles of water scattered on the stone. Of course the second my cousin's foot touched the ground he crashed down with a small "umph", as he had avoided all offered guidance and assistance.

"And you're certain he's related by blood?" Caspian smirked, eyeing the boy as he scrambled back to his feet. I rolled my eyes and continued walking.

A loud bell suddenly rang, sending birds flying from their resting perches. Edmund put a defensive hand in front of me as he and the rest of the men drew their weapons. There was silence, give for the loud complaints from the startled birds. Edmund lowered his arm.

"Reepicheep, stay here with Drinian's men and secure the place. We'll head on. If we don't return by dawn, send a party." Caspian ordered, cautiously entering the quiet town.

I walked behind him with Edmund, Eustace trailing. We walked up a gradual slope and turned into what looked like the town square. What would have been a busy and loud location in the country of Narnia was completely deserted and silent here. We approached a building that resembled a church, where the bell had come from.

"Yeah, looks like nobody is in. Do you think we should head back?" Eustace came from a group of homes, a slightly frightened expression on his face. I sighed softly as Edmund and Caspian exchanged looks.

"Do you want to come here and guard...something?" Ed asked uncertainly, his face contorting as he pushed out the words. Giving Eustace a responsibility was probably not the best idea.

Eustace nodded and jogged over to us, nodding. "Ah, yes. Good idea cousin. Very, uh...logical."

The three boys stood in an awkward silence before Caspian sighed, removing a spare dagger from his belt. He silently pointed to where Eustace's hands should go.

"I've got it. I've got it, don't worry." He nodded as both of his hands clutched the hilt of the blade.

As we walked in Edmund flipped on his torch, aiming it around the giant room we had just entered. When he aimed the beam of light to the ceiling we could see dozens of large bells hanging. He moved the light to a podium in the center of a room as we approached it. There was a big open book on the top.

"Who are all these people?" I asked as my eyes traveled down the long list of names with numbers at their side.

"Why have they been crossed out?" Edmund pointed to the red lines striking through most of the names. "It looks like some kind of fee."

"Slave traders." Caspian concluded, frowning.

My pulse quickened as my eyes moved down to the last few names on the list, the only ones without red lines. I inhaled sharply at the last name.

"No," I whispered, my hands going to trace the name.

Macey Burton.

Edmund followed my hand then swallowed deeply, his eyes widened. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off as the bells started to ring.

"Look out!" Caspian yelled as the men dropped ropes from the bells and slid down them.

They advanced with weapons drawn, and I quickly drew my sword. Three men were swinging at me at once, and I was unable to strike them lethally. I managed to nick one's arm and slice across another's knee, but the other went completely unharmed and fought violently.

The high-pitched scream of a girl froze me in my movements. My head whipped to the source, hoping to see Macey. I saw Edmund do with the same with a similar hopeful expression. Much to our disappointment, it was only our cousin with Caspian's dagger to his throat.

"Unless you want to hear this one squeal like a girl again, I'd say you should drop your weapons." The old man who was holding Eustace grinned.

"Like a girl?!" Eustace repeated. The man jerked him in his grip, inching the blade closer to his skin.

"Now!" The man yelled. I clenched my jaw and threw my blade to the ground.

"Eustace." Edmund seethed, dropping his sword as well.

"Put 'em in irons." The man demanded. The three men I had been fighting closed in, two grabbing my waist and arms to hold me and the other clasping chains around my wrists. I struggled against their grip.

"Get your hands off me!" I cried.

The man let go of Eustace and passed him over to another man, who chained him similarly to us. "Let's take these two to market. Send those two to the dungeons."

"Listen to me, you insolent fool! I am your king!" Caspian shouted over the men as they dragged him away. Edmund struggled and pushed at his captors, who punched him in the mouth.

"You're gonna pay for that." He spat at them.

Another man entered through the door. "Actually," He said. "Someone else is going to pay..for all of you." He grinned, showing a gnarly set of teeth. I jerked against the men as they pulled me away from my brother.

"No! Edmund! Edmund!" I screamed, tears gathering in my eyes. Valiant or not, I was afraid.

"Lucy!" He called back. I clenched my eyes shut as I lost sight of him. We had been separated

This chapter was the last of Lucy's POV! The rest of the book will be in Macey's as usual.