"We should gather wood," Beatrice said as she looked around. She looked back toward the door at their wet footprints. She felt a yank on the chain as Tennessee continued to explore. When she turned around she saw that he had the fire going. "It's homely but cozy. And it sure is better than sleeping outside."

"Eureka!" Tennessee declared as he dug through a box. He looked up at her smiling from ear to ear. "Look, soap."

Beatrice put her hand on her hip. "Have you never seen soap before?"

"Don't be silly," Tennessee said getting to his feet. "This is just what we need to get this chain off." He tossed one bar to her. "Come on."

When they got outside they went back through the trees to the water's edge. Dipping the bars it in the water they lathered their hands until they were white.

Tennessee looked up at her with a smile. "Are you ready for this?

Beatrice nodded and taking their free hands they pushed against the shackles. When she felt her hand slip free she felt her wrist would fall off. Holding it in her hand she looked at it like it was something foreign. She rubbed the place where the shackle had been and looked at Tennessee who was doing the same.

"Good riddance to you!" he said grabbing the chain and pitching into the water. It crashed through the surface with a sad plunk.

Going back inside they took off their wet coats and hung them by the fire then sat to go through the bags.

"How's the map?" Tennessee asked as he shook water from his compass.

Beatrice carefully unfolded the paper. The colors had washed and run together making a big purple mass. "It's ruined."

"That's all right," Tennessee said to encourage her. "We know where we need to go next."

Beatrice sighed and went over to the fireplace. The sound of the popping logs was music to her ears. Taking her nightgown from beside the fire she decided it was dry enough. She headed to the door taking her soap along the way.

"Where are you going?" Tennessee asked.

"You may like smelling bad, but I am not missing this opportunity to bathe," Beatrice said marching out the door.

"You're going to get eaten," Tennessee called after her as he popped some jerky into his mouth. Shaking his head he yawned and stretched out before the fire.

Beatrice walked the water's edge until she thought she found a good spot. Folding her nightgown on a rock she freed herself of the clothes that had become a second skin and slipped into the cold stream. It chilled her but the thought of getting clean was too exciting to back out now. She tilted her head back in the water letting the cold liquid massage her scalp.

Opening her eyes she stared into the circular canopy. She turned in slow bobbing circles watching the stars spin above the trees. The Trees!" It hit her like icy rain and she nearly sank beneath the surface. She quickly climbed out of water and used her blouse to sponge away as much of it as she could from her body. She rung out her underclothes and after dressing herself she raced back to the cabin.

"Tennessee we made it!" she shouted as she stormed inside.

Tennessee jumped awake to see her muddy feet and wet legs standing before him. "What did you say?" he asked rubbing his heavy eyelids.

"The ring of trees," Beatrice said near a whisper. "Come on." She grabbed his wrist and dragged him along. When they reached the water's edge she pointed up. "They form a perfect ring," she said unable to contain her excitement. "Which means there must be another one around her somewhere." She released his wrist and ran off into the night.

"Beatrice, wait!" Tennessee shouted after her. "You don't know what's out there! Beatrice! Beatrice!" He stopped running. The trees had grown thick and the light of the moon hardly lit the way. "Beatrice?"

"I'm out here!"

He ran in the direction of her voice and nearly collided with her when he came over a bush. "Don't run off like that out here," he said. "There are hunters and predators..."

"We did it!" Beatrice shouted and danced around the clearing. The moon shone down turning the trees white, their wet branches gleaming like diamonds.

Giving up trying to make her reason Tennessee approached the dancing girl. "Where's the second ring?"

Beatrice laughed. "You're standing in it!" She threw her hands into the air and danced barefooted through the dry autumn grass. "We did it, Tennessee. We followed my father's map!" she squealed and started dancing again.

Tennessee turned his attention from her to the mountain in the distance. One in particular stood directly in front of the ring of trees. It was getting colder and the mountains were no place to be this time of year for the inexperienced. With a sigh he touched Beatrice shoulder, stopping her from dancing.

"It is enough now, isn't it," he said somewhere between a statement and a question.

Beatrice looked into his face and hers sank. "What, what do you mean?"

Tennessee scoffed. "I mean this," he said raising his hands and dropping them. "It is far enough. I think it's time I took you back home."

"What, no," Beatrice said backing away from him. "How could you say that?"

"Look, Beatrice. This has all been a wild and dangerous adventure and I think it's time it ended. Think of it this way. You've made it farther than I ever have."

"I don't want to think of it that way," Beatrice said. "If I start something I finish it. My father wanted me to have that map and I'm going to complete this mission. You can go back if you want to but I'm not finished."

"What if there is nothing there?" Tennessee said. "You could be risking your life for nothing. It's time we were both getting back."

"Then go!" Beatrice said. "I started out on my own and I can finish on my own. I don't need you. You don't care about my father or me or anyone. All you care about is your stupid promotion. Well I hope you get it!" She stomped back to the cabin.

Tennessee returned later, thankful to find her already sleeping. Even in the dying firelight he could make out the tear stains on her face. He couldn't imagine how much this meant to her or what she was trying to prove. All he knew was that he didn't understand and maybe never would.

Kindling the fire, he rearranged their damp clothes then sat close enough to feel the heat of the rising flames. Leaning his head back against the stones he closed his eyes and saw his child self lost in a sea of other children. Here it did you well to be called Tennessee. But you where christened the same as the others. Wellbeloved. You will be Tennessee Wellbeloved. Is that clear?

"Yes, ma'am," Opening his eyes he felt the burn on his arm from sitting too close to the fire. He turned toward the fireplace and took up the stick he had been using as a poker. As he jabbed at the crumbing logs something in the stones behind the fire caught his eye. Tilting his head he slowly read the inscription. "Don't give up now." A chill passed through him as he stared at the dead man's message. The log popped loudly startling him.

His name is Tennessee Wellbeloved and he needs a place to stay.

The dejected are welcome among us. I shall teach him to be our messenger boy.