10. A falling out

Beatrice was awake staring at the four walls of her room when her sisters came through the front door. She could already hear their voices discussing her absence and going over their plans for tomorrow. Getting out of bed she went to the top of the stairs.

"I still can't believe Beatrice didn't show up for class tonight," Wysteria said. "I guess being with her friends is more important than the recital we've spent all year planning."

"She'll just have to learn to work on her priorities," Ladybird said. "I'll talk to her in the morning."

Beatrice fingers rolled into fist. "Is that what you two think of me?" she said shocking them both to her sudden appearance. "That I'm irresponsible and put my friends before family?"

Ladybird stepped forward. "That's not what we meant."

"Then what?" Beatrice asked.

"Beatrice this recital is important to us," Wysteria said. "To all of us and the community. For you to skip practice to spend time with friends who will be there later..."

"That's easy for you to say, Wysteria," Beatrice said. "You don't have any friends. Just a stupid cat and your stupid useless plants!"

"She doesn't mean that," Ladybird quickly said.

"No, I think she does," Wysteria said. "But if that's what she wishes, fine. We don't need her for the recital. There are plenty of girls who would love that solo." She turned back downstairs and went outside.

Ladybird shook her head. "Beatrice what has gotten into you? You are not yourself."

"Leave me alone, Ladybird," Beatrice said turning up the stairs. "Haven't I ruined your life enough?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I heard what happened between you and Philemon," Beatrice said. "I know he broke off the engagement and that he did it because of me!"

"Who told you?"

"Matthew Hurston," Beatrice said. "Among other things he thought I should hear."

"Oh, Beatrice I didn't know what you had been through," Ladybird said.

"Of course you didn't know!" Beatrice said. "You came through the door accusing me; you and Wysteria both. And here I thought I could run to my sisters' arms after being assaulted. But I was wrong, neither of you care about me. You just care about your stupid recital!" She ran up the stairs.

"Beatrice!"

"Just leave me alone!" The bedroom door slammed shut behind her and Beatrice threw herself across her bed soaking her pillow. Why did she have to look different why had everything that had seemed to be going so well suddenly turn so bad?

When Beatrice opened her eyes again the room was still dark. Looking across the way she noticed Wysteria hadn't yet come to bed. She got up and crossed the room opening the bedroom door slowly. She tiptoed to the top of the stairs, careful her shoes didn't make too much noise.

"I know she didn't mean it, Wysteria." she heard Ladybird's voice from the parlor. "You must remember she doesn't know what happened so she doesn't understand."

"I still can't understand why Yewtree would want to call off the engagement," Wysteria said. "It's not as though he has just met her."

"Perhaps he just realized it was something he wasn't willing to put up with," Ladybird said. "He's convinced that Beatrice and us don't have the same father."