"That mean you're taking us home?" Thomas asked.

"A home of sorts," Janson responded. "Sadly, there wouldn't be much left of wherever you came from. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WCKD will never find you again. How does that sound?"

"Too good to be true," Ivy muttered so only Newt and Minho heard her.

"Why are you helping us?" Minho inquired.

"Let's just say the world out there is in a rather precarious situation. We're all hanging on by a very thin thread. The fact that you kids can survive the Flare virus makes you the best chance of humanity's continued survival. Unfortunately, it also makes you a target, as no doubt by now you've noticed." He stopped at a metal door, opening it with a card. On the other side of the door was a bright hallway. "Beyond this door lies the beginning of your new lives." He turned to face them. "First things first... let's do something about that smell."

The Gladers nodded, some of them relaxing at the idea of a shower. Janson led them down the halls once again, soon coming to a pause when they came across a guard. Janson ordered for him to show the group to the showers, then to the medical lab. The guard nodded, motioning for the teens to continue to follow him. As they walked, Ivy couldn't help but memorize their route. After running through the Maze for so long, she was memorizing the hallways out of habit.

"Here we are," the guard announced. He appeared to be several years older than them. His eyes were blue and his brown hair seemed to spike in front. He motioned to two doors on opposite sides of the hallway. "This door," the one on their left, "is for you boys. This one," the right, "for the girls."

Ivy immediately shook her head.

"No," she stated.

The guard looked at her, as well as the Gladers.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I said no. I'm not leaving them. I don't care if we're just across the hall, I'm not going to be separated from them. I don't feel comfortable with it. I'm sorry if this place gives me the creeps, but it's not happening."

"Ivy." She looked at Newt. "It's all right. We're safe now. We'll just be right next door."

Ivy shook her head again, crossing her arms.

"That's fine," the guard responded with a slight nod. "If you feel comfortable with it, then you can stay with them. Parts of the showers are separated from the open area, though it has no doors. You can shower there if you wish." Ivy nodded, mentally thanking him. "Now, when you get in there, you'll find a bin to put your clothes into so we can dispose of them. Once you're done with your showers, there will be towels available, along with fresh clothes. I'll make sure to bring a change of clothes over for you," he said to Ivy. "When everyone is done, I'll escort you to the med wing."

The Gladers nodded in understanding. Teresa said a brief goodbye and stepped into the women's showers. Newt looked at Ivy, giving her a slight smile.

"You go on in first," he told her. "We'll let you get changed and get to a shower before we come in. Just give us a shout when we're done."

Ivy nodded. She walked to the door, pushing it open so she could enter the showers. Just as the guard had said, there was a large open area, along with blocked off sections. By the door was a bin which she assumed their clothes would go in to. Just being in the room made her want to change as fast as possible and get under a shower. She quickly pulled off her boots and socks, tossing them in the bin. Next went her shirt and pants, then her undergarments. She pulled her hair out of its messy braid and headed back to the separate showers.