Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Oh, sweetheart I did. I did."

"So I'm not having an episode?" She squeaked.

"No, babe no. I'm so sorry, I didn't think. I was just trying to surprise you."

Tess let out the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding and smiled up at him. "Well, you sure tricked me."

"Let me make it up to you." He said with his hands behind his back now.

"Really, I'm fine, it's not necessary, it was just a joke." She said, shaking her head in protest.

"You don't understand. I have a surprise for you."

"One that won't scare the shit out of me I hope." She teased him and gave him a playful push. "So what is it?" She grabbed his hands from behind his back and pulled his clasped hands apart. But there was nothing in there.

She looked up at him, her brows knotted together. He laughed at her. "Come on, it's in the car and it's the real reason I'm late. I hope it will earn your forgiveness."

She followed him as he practically bounded outside, with a rare amount of excitement. Rushing to keep up, she craned her neck to try and see past him into the car. But she couldn't see anything through the dark tinted windows. He reached the car first and leaned back against the passenger front door and swung his hand to indicate the back door.

Hesitantly she dragged her feet over until she stood in front of him. He was in a weird mood and the butterflies in her stomach made her grip her waist in an attempt to calm her. What was he up to? She took the silver door handles and pulled, the door swung slowly open. She heard the voice before her eyes had registered what was in front of them.

"Hey, sweetness. What took you so long?" The unmistakable sound of GG's voice was music to her ears. "I could have suffocated in here." 

She dived in the back of the car on top of GG. They hugged and squealed like a couple of children. "You are the best surprise right now," Tess said, her voice quivered, overcome with emotion.

Cole poked his head in the back. "Are you ladies coming out of there or should I have dinner served in the back?"

Tess held out her hand and Cole took it and pulled her gently from the car, followed by GG.

"I can't believe this." Tess babbled as they walked back inside. "I thought you weren't coming until next week."

"That's why it's called a surprise sweetness." GG beamed.

Tess hugged GG again.

"Feeling a little left out here." Cole joked and held out his arms. Both women rushed into them.

"Let me make you a hot chocolate," Tess said. She went into the kitchen and pulled mugs from the overhead cupboard.

"None for me thanks," Cole said. "I'll pop over to the main house and let the chef know I'm back and that we have a guest."

"Oh okay, I'll give GG the guided tour while you're gone," Tess smiled. In fact, she was finding it difficult to wipe the smile off of her face since they both arrived.

"Okay, I want a quick word with mother as well."

Tess looked suddenly serious. "Any reason?"

"You mentioned on the phone last night that the doctor didn't come. I know it's a difficult time but we need to get this sorted." He walked over to Tess and pulled her into his arms.

GG stared intently at her red patent shoes, showing them more interest than warranted.

"I'm scared Cole. What he says might change our plans." Tess whispered.

"Maybe, but whatever the outcome we will get through this together. Besides, the doctor might rule out some of the scarier stuff and that would be a great thing. So let's try to be positive hey!" He rubbed the tops of her arms and kissed the tip of her nose.

"Ok fine. At least you'll be here." Tess sighed in resolution.

Cole smiled at her and threw her a wink that warmed her from her heart to her belly and back again. "Of course I'll be here. Now, relax and have a catch up with your friend and I'll be back in a flash." He turned to leave, "Catch you later GG,"

"I hope so, you're the one bringing the food and I'm starved." She joked. Turning to Tess she spoke loud enough for Cole to hear as he was heading toward the door. "Quick let's bitch about him before he gets back."

Cole glanced over his shoulder and shot GG a hostile glance that didn't reach his eyes, before poking out his tongue and leaving the two women giggling as he closed the door behind him.

"Seriously sweetness what's new?" GG turned back to Tess the second Cole had gone.

Tess thought about all her troubles but kept a smile plastered firmly on her face regardless. "Everything's new. Want me to show you around?"

"Sure," GG said and slipped down off the barstool.

Tess walked her through the house and even opened the door to Freddy's room just a touch to show her the mural. GG gasped. "It's gorgeous." She crowed.

The tour took all of two minutes before they found themselves back at the sitting room. GG sat on the recliner and pulled the handle, projecting herself backward. Her tiny shoes stuck up in the air. Tess dashed over and helped her push it back down.

"So what do you think?" Tess asked.

GG blew out a breath in almost a whistle. "It's gorgeous and the perfect place to raise the baby."

"Oh no, we aren't staying long. I'm coming back to New York as quickly as possible." Tess objected.

"But why? It's perfect here and seeing as you and Cole seem to be a couple again...." She let her voice trail off.

Tess scrunched her nose up at her. "Yeah, I tried to stick to the plan and not get involved, but... well—"

"No need to explain. I've met him. I get it." GG waggled her eyebrows. "He's a hottie alright."

"Right?" Tess asked and broke into a fit of giggles.

"He's handsome, he's sweet, he seems to genuinely care about you and he's rich. That's always a nice bonus." GG said.

Tess stopped giggling and stared at GG. "I'm not with him because he's rich, I'm with him for every other reason."

GG frowned at her. "I know Tess. If anyone understands it's me. You pinned over the guy long enough and the only hesitation you've ever had concerns his money or you questioning if he feels for you, like you feel for him."

"Okay, I'm sorry. I just feel like that's what everyone is going to think. They'll say 'Oh look, he tried to have a dirty little affair with the help and he got trapped.' That is what they'll say isn't it?"

"Who cares what they say?" GG struggled out of the chair and wrapped her arm around Tess's shoulders.

"I care."

"Well, you're an idiot. Do you think I got where I am today by caring what everyone thinks of me?"

"But how? How don't you let it get to you?"

"I'm the one living the life I set out to live. Do you think these small-minded people who have nothing better to do than talk shit about you are living their dream? No of course not. Imagine them as children on their parent's knee. Saying, Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a nasty spiteful person who talks shit about people behind their backs. Then their parent's saying, well dear if you study hard and marry rich you will have every right to do just that. PFT!" GG bulged her eyes in emphasis.

Tess laughed, "I guess when you look at it like that. You're right."

GG rolled her eyes and flicked her hair with all the drama Tess had come to expect from her eccentric friend. "Of course, I am sweetness, I'm always right."