Chapter Nine

Tess lay alone in the half-dark room, watching shadows dance across the walls and down over her hands. Why could life never be simple for her? Even for a minute. Reaching out, she picked up her phone and slid the screen open before tapping on GG's name.

"OMG, you're alive." GG's voice thundered through the earpiece.

"Unfortunately," Tess mumbled. "Oh GG, can you come and get me?"

"Why? What's going on?"

"My emotions are all confused. In fact, I'm confused in general. About everything."

"Hang on, let me get comfortable." Clunking sounds echoed through the phone, causing Tess to hold it out from her ear. "Okay sweetness, let's hear it."

"Well, weird stuff is happening. Like really strange. I keep forgetting where I put stuff and forgetting to do my washing even though I swear I did it... I just do—"

"Nice excuse babe, I sort of forgot to do my washing last week too. It was very unfortunate, I had to spend my lunch hour shopping for new clothes." GG giggled down the phone.

"GG, I'm serious. It's really freaking me out. Every time I put something down, it's gone when I turn around. My freshly laundered clothes are suddenly dirty again and I just can't explain it."

"Ohhh... maybe you have a ghost. The guesthouse ghost. How exciting!"

"Oh my God. I hadn't even considered that. Do you think it could be a ghost?" A chill ran the length of her spine and Tess gave a shudder.

GG laughed. "No. I don't! You're really going crazy if you're willing to accept that as an explanation."

"Cole says it's probably baby brain but I think he's just trying to calm the crazy."

"Oh yeah baby brain, my cousin had that. It was bad. She couldn't even remember how to get home from the store half the time. She ended up pinning her name and address to one of the buttons of her coat." GG was laughing but Tess's shoulder's relaxed none the less. It really was something common.

"So, how are things going with Cole and his family?"

Tess sighed. "God, don't even ask. My emotions are a mess. I want him GG. I want him bad. But I know I shouldn't and... I can't"

"Oh please! You're so dramatic. You want him? So, have him. What's the worst that could happen?"

Tess almost choked on her own breath. "What? What do you mean?" She sat up in bed and pushed herself back to sit up against the headboard. "It was you that told me I couldn't date him under any circumstance."

"Why the hell are you listening to me? None of my relationships lasts more than a month. When is the last time you saw a hottie come around and beg me to move to his mansion?"

Tess didn't respond. Could it really be as simple as wanting something and taking it? Could she live with the knowledge he only wanted her now she was pregnant? It was probably some false sense of duty setting in on his behalf. Argh! Men!

"Well, I just thought... I don't know, you seemed so sure."

"Darling, the only thing I'm ever sure of, is looking sure. Follow your heart but remember to listen to your head sometimes as well. Okay? That's all I'm asking."

"Well, I'm not sure I can one hundred percent trust my head at this time. Or my heart for that matter." She lightened the mood with a chuckle. "You're the only option I have left. Well, you were before you started flip-flopping."

"Sorry about that. But you know I always change my nail polish on the weekends. And unfortunately, I change my attitude on Saturdays too."

"Yeah well thanks for being no help what-so-ever! I hope your nails look good though."

GG laughed before gaining control and wheezing into the receiver, "they look amazing! But any-who, how are you getting along with his family?"

"Surprisingly, I've hardly seen them. I think his father went back to the city the morning after I got here. I'm supposed to be going shopping with his mother tomorrow, though."

"Well, that should be interesting." GG said, not attempting to hide the sarcasm in her voice."

"Interesting wasn't really the first word that came to mind. Torture, hell on earth, excruciating maybe. She's lovely but it will still be awkward."

"Well don't forget to send me a shopping selfie."

"Will do, and GG, I know you're busy, but, when the baby's born do you think you could make it out here to see us?"

"You just try to keep me away."

"I better pop this baby out quick then because I'm missing you like crazy." She laughed.

"Like a bee misses its hive," GG added.

"Or bread misses butter," Tess said.

"Or a broken keyboard misses a period. Oh, wait... that was you and now you're having a baby." GG laughed and it came out as a long hissing sound.

Tess rolled her eyes. "Night GG."

"Night sweetness. Hang in there, you'll be okay."

The line went dead and Tess flopped back against her pillows. Sleep, she needed sleep but first water. She slid out of bed and threw on her tattered old robe, making her way down the hall to the kitchen. As she passed the living room, something caught her eye.

There was movement within the room. She was sure of it. Her stomach leapt into her chest and back again, her skin grew clammy as she snuck back on her toes to take a peek through the slightly ajar door.

There was Cole, curled up on the sofa, sound asleep. Tess let out a long-jagged breath of relief. He may be cross at her right now, but he stuck around. A small grin crawled across her lips as she slipped away from the door and into the kitchen.