20. The One That Got Away

Chloe is threatened with suspension but manages to talk her way out of it

Chloe is threatened with suspension but manages to talk her way out of it. Instead, Collins dishes out an entire week of detention after I decline her offer of pressing charges. I see no good coming from getting the police involved. I don't feel like having to sit in a room with Detective Saunders–potential killer–and pissing Chloe off even more seems unproductive.

In situations such as these, I must play my cards right. Consider each move. After all, Chloe is one of our four suspects. She may be dangerous.

"Did you graffiti my locker?" I ask, once Collins dismisses us with the stern instruction to wait outside for our parents.

"No. I have better things to do than obsess over you," she retorts.

I almost laugh. "Tell that to my black eye."

"Helena?"

Mom comes rushing over, assessing my injuries with a frown on her face. She's concerned but the emotion soon turns to anger once she sees Chloe bruise-free.

"It's not often I interfere in my daughter's affairs but touch my baby again and I'll be forced to intervene."

Chloe shrinks down in her seat, intimidated. Scared. "She thinks I killed Sienna."

"And these bruises only aid in her argument," she defends, pointing to my split lip.

Once again, Chloe cowers away.

"Where's your mother?"

"Paris."

Mom falters. "Your dad?

"I'm here," states an authoritative voice, forcing Mom to turn around.

Her eyes land on Mr Peters' handsome face, softening immediately. His dirt-blonde locks appear neatly trimmed, not a hair out of place and although creased, he models a designer suit.

"Perrie?" he gasps, the smallest of smiles pulling at his lips.

"Jason?"

What the fuck?

The two are in a dream-like trance, unable to look away. To speak. It's an odd exchange. So much so, Chloe and I momentarily set aside our differences to share a look. To mutually concern ourselves over what ever the hell this is.

"Mom?"

She snaps out of it, moving closer to Jason. "Your daughter attacked mine."

Jason's gaze briefly moves to mine before finally settling on Chloe's. "Baby, did you?"

Chloe nods.

"Why?"

"She thinks I murdered Sienna."

Ironically, I didn't until today.

"That's quite the accusation, Helena," he states.

Wait!