Chapter 8

As I rode the the Giver's dwelling the next day, Jonas' bike was already out front. I felt a great relief knowing he was still coming, but then a new pit settled in my stomach at the idea of facing him after our fight. I didn't know what to do, so I pushed on and entered.

I heard music as I was reaching the bottom of the stairs. The door to the piano room was open and I head voices speaking.

"You've come back."

"Who is that?"

"Where is Aurora?"

"I don't know. I think I upset her yesterday..."

There was a pause in their conversation but I still heard voices and some music.

"This is Rosemary, the previous receiver."

"She's the one they all talk about."

"She no longer exists except here... and in my memories. She was in training only 2 short months. And like you both, she wanted to experience....everything. I only gave her pleasant beautiful memories.. She fought me."

"You gave her war?"

"I gave her the memory of a child... a child taken away from her mother. I gave her loss, too soon. The light went from her eyes. The next morning without telling me, she went to the chief elder and asked to be released."

"So she was released and now lives in Elsewhere."

There was another pause.

"Jonas this is very important, did Aurora speak of quitting to you? Did she imply it was something she wanted to do?" the Giver asked with more urgency than when I came up before.

"No, she helped convince me to come back..why? What's wrong?"

I decided to start moving towards the stairs of the piano room.

"Yes receiver"

"I would like to see this morning's release."

"Thank you for your instructions."

As I descended the stairs quietly, I saw an image being projected and stopped to watch.

"That's my father" Jonas said proudly.

The image showed his father and a woman from the Nurturing Centre weighing a couple of babies.

"This one is heavier"

"More twins, great."

"Watch"

"Oh good, for a moment I thought they'd be exactly the same. Then we'd have problem." Jonas' father spoke with a slight chuckle.

The woman took the heavier twin away out of frame where we kept watching Jonas' father.

"And youu, only one unit less." he spoke to the baby as he started lifting it. The Giver moved forward in the video and changed the angle so we could see what was happening.

Jonas' father has placed the baby on a table and pulled out a syringe.

"Oh I know it hurts. I know I know I know." he said as he injected the baby.

Slowly the baby stopped moving. I was so shocked I couldn't do anything but take a seat on the steps.

"Done, that wasn't so bad now was it?"

"That's death."

"He doesn't know what he's doing"

"Doesn't know what he's doing? He killed him"

"But he doesn't know what it means. Just like you didn't. Neither did Rosemary."

"How can he not see the baby isn't moving. Doesn't that tell him something is wrong?"

"The young and the old are killed. Your friend Fiona, she will soon be trained to release as well."

"That's a lie... she would never do that. If Fiona understood-"

"We are the only ones who understand it."

"Then it's our fault. You, me, Aurora and all the receivers back and back and back. There has to be a way to show them. To give them the memories so they can understand. Because if you can't feel, what's the point?"

"But what can you do?"

I couldn't keep quiet anymore and started crying right there.

"Aurora! Come here." the Giver spoke to me, now noticing my presence.

As soon as I walked over to him her brought me into a hug. I don't I've ever even felt this from my parents.

"You scared me, I thought you left to be released."

"I'm sorry I was just a little late" I cried onto his shoulder.

As he let go I turned to Jonas. Immediately I hit him.

"Ow!"

"And you! How could you almost quit? You would have died! You would have left me all alone! I don't know what I would do without you.." I finished softly, my crying calming slightly.

Again I was pulled into a hug, this time by Jonas.

"I'm so sorry. I'll never leave you to be alone. I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I know."

I had never felt more safe than I did right then, being held by Jonas, in the company of those I loved.

---------------------------------------------------

Please point out spelling errors.