Chapter 4

We were dismissed almost immediately after. The Giver looked more perplexed than I had ever seen him. Not that I knew him well but it didn't seem like something that would happen much with him. As someone who has all knowledge of our past and present, what is there left to wonder about?

Jonas and I rode back to the community in silence. However before I could ride off towards my dwelling he called out to me.

"Aurora!"

"Yeah Jonas?"

"You wanna just sit with me?" he looked nervous as he asked. As if because I had told him I distanced myself from people I would in turn reject spending time with him too. How could I? He's one of the only people who knew my secret. Who knew anything about me really.

"Okay."

And so we sat in silence just staring at the sky.

"I'm sorry I never spoke to you before. I just thought you were shy."

"It's okay Jonas, don't feel bad."

"But I should have tried. It's not like I didn't notice you were always alone."

"Jonas, really it's okay. I would have said no to spending time with you and your friends anyways."

"But you said you had felt the pain people speak of. If I had spoken to you, maybe you wouldn't have felt that."

I grabbed his hand to try and reassure him.

"Jonas, feeling pain is normal. It's not pleasant but it's what we are supposed to do. And I'm okay. I'm not in pain anymore. I have you as a friend that I don't have to keep my secret from. That's all I need."

"Okay"

Silence fell upon us again. I don't even know how long we laid in the grass looking the the sky and the tree branches. I had forgotten to let go of his hand but he never pulled away and I was somewhat grateful. I had grabbed his hand to give him reassurance but him not pulling away reassured me in return. He truly did feel bad and did want to be my friend now. It was a foreign feeling for sure, but it was a welcome one.

"Jonas? Have you fallen? Do you need immediate help?" His friend Fiona asked as she stood over Jonas.

"No, I was just-" he tried to explain as he stood up. He turned to help me up before looking back to Fiona. I stood slightly behind him. I was nervous. I had never spoken to her before.

"What's going on with you?"

"Nothing's going on with me."

"No you're right. It's totally normal to lie in the grass and stare at the sky."

"No, I was just-"

"You're seeing something aren't you?" I'm not sure she even noticed I was there. Their conversation just carried on as if I wasn't. I had considered leaving until Fiona spoke again.

"Can't you tell me?"

"Give me your hands" he said as he reached out to her.

"Jonas, I don't think this is a great idea."

"Aurora it's fine. I've been friends with Fiona since we were little."

Fiona placed her hands in Jonas'. I let them continue. I doubted it would work but if he wanted to show her so bad, who was I to try and stop him. If it didn't work then that would be the end of it. He looked over to a triangle of shrubbery nearby that had a waterfall feature installed. The water was creating a ray of colours. I didn't know the word for it, or if there even was one. The Giver had not shown us one yet. What I did know was Jonas was trying to show these colours to her instead of a specific memory like the Giver would with us.