Part 4: Like Lava in my blood

You hadn't realised it but Reno had come to meet you while you interrogated the man. You turn around growling as the red fades from your eyes and blue swirls to return.

"You alright Dove?" A slight concern on his face.

Facing the redhead hearing the familiar voice quench the fire within. You drop your sword to your side. Blood dripping off the tip. You stare at your bloodied hands.

"I'm... I'm fine." You state as you wipe your weapon clean and sheath it back on your back.

"Come on.. Lets move."

He stares into your eyes to make sure the color had returned. Shocked that this is only the second time since you had met that he had seen you this way. He knew your past as you had told him over drinks one night following a mission.

You were experimented on at Shinra as a teenager and with that had been infused with a new power similar to Sephiroth's. When your rage heightened to a certain level your body's own adrenaline would fuel you like no other. Putting you into an almost feral state.

Vincent had seen it more than anyone else on the team as he was the one to rescue you from the experiment. The experiment in which they were attempting to make the best soldier they could before Sephiroth's creation.. The last experiment before their success..

The only downfall would be your extreme hunger and muscle fatigue after using the power. Sometimes terrible headaches like a hangover the day following. So you would probably be having some drinks tonight.

The metal floor clicks and clangs as you both walk silently to meet back with the group. You try to escape your thoughts but the memory forces itself through.

----*Memory*----

Hot liquid pouring through your veins. You scream in agony on a cold metal table while scientists monitor your vitals.

"She's going to go into cardiac arrest Sir!" Someone monitoring your vitals yells.

"Continue the experiment!" You can only assume this is the head of the operation.

"But Sir!"

"Continue!"

The lights in the room flicker as a lever is pulled down and the pain begins to rush your body once more.

You scream in agony. Your face distorting in pain. You dig your nails into your palms causing blood to pool from your hands.

"Heartrate through the roof Sir! She can't hold much longer!"

"I said continue!"

You scream once more as the heat becomes unbearable. Your chest hurts. You can barely breathe. Eyes flickering shut. Everything fades to black.

---scientists conversation---

"She's gone Sir.. She couldn't handle the treatment."

"Put her in the tank to cool off. She'll wake up in a few hours"

The scientists pick up your lifeless body and carry you to the tank. Placing the proper respirator on you and securing it. They lower you in.

---end memory---

You remember.. you woke up hours later. Panic in your bones. Feeling trapped. This is why you became a soldier.. this was the price to become what you wanted. You didn't have much. Your father was murdered when you were young and your mother abandoned you. You had no one so you joined up. It didn't matter the condition. You were doing it. And you did.. now your left with this....

"What a fucking existence..." you whisper to yourself.

Reno stares in your direction. Placing a hand on your shoulder stopping you in your tracks as you walk down the stairs to the next floor to meet with the others.

"You alright?" He questions with genuine concern.

You stand there motionless. You feel cold. You reach up to meet his hand with yours and rest your cheek against the warmth of his skin.

"Yeah.. I'll be fine. Don't worry about me, okay?"

You turn around to meet him. He stares at you with worry. 'He doesn't show this side often. He must truly be worried..'

He pulls you into him. Meeting his chest with your cheek and nuzzling him for a small amount of comfort. His left hand on the back of your neck and his right holding you tightly to him. He grabs your chin and forces you to meet his gaze.

"Better be. Can't have you moping around on me now can I?" He softy smiles and lays a small kiss to your forhead and then your cheek.

You grab his cheek with your right hand and pull him in to a soft but quick kiss. Pulling away you meet his forhead with yours.

"I promise. I'm fine. I'm just tired and could use a drink about now.." you laugh lightly shaking off the concern of your partner.

"Drinks after then. I'm buying." He smiles.

"Thanks Reno.."

"Ahh. Don't go getting all mushy on me now. We still have a job to do remember." Mocking your earlier comments before this job started you knew he was poking fun at you trying to lighten the mood.

Releasing your embrace you smile at him and speak.

"Alright then. Let's go meet the others."