church boy

Being the priest's daughter really had its disadvantages

Being the priest's daughter really had its disadvantages. For starters, not only did she have to attend every service, every bible study, and every event; but she also had to deal with vehement standards of strict, religious parents — especially her father.

Irene was unable to bear one particular rule her parents had of her, which was simply—

"Do not let any man that is not your husband deflower you, dear. Wait until marriage until you lay with a man."

Having been young, with no sexual urges, Irene immediately agreed to this term. At the time, she didn't see anything wrong with it, and found it quite reasonable.

That was until she actually grew up and began experiencing some 'changes'.

Now at the sweet age of eighteen, Irene remained a virgin; her promise set in place by her vow and a pendant, which hung around her neck at all times. It was a promise to her parents that she would abstain from sex until she married. Completely inexperienced in the area of 'romance and love', Irene couldn't help but feel that she was missing out on something.

All her friends, outside of the church, had already had their firsts. It was a bit embarrassing for her, honestly.

Don't get the wrong idea, Irene strongly believed that one didn't romance to feel complete, but still, she at least wanted a taste of it. She'd never even had a boyfriend, all due to her father's high expectations.

Whenever a potential boyfriend would come around, he'd instantly be turned down by her father, who always sought out to approve — or disprove — of whomever Irene brought to the house. If he wasn't devoted and faithful to the Lord, then that was an immediate letdown.

And so, Irene remained slightly bitter, absolutely loathing how she never truly got to 'get around' with someone. No one could blame her for being curious, she was a young woman after all. And when the time did come — if ever — she wasn't just going to give her virginity up to anyone. She too wanted it to be special and meaningful, and with someone who she truly loved.

Good luck with zero guys that fit her father's standards.

[c]In the middle of a dragged-out service, Irene fiddles with the pendant around her necklace, the monotone voice of her father nearly lulling her to sleep. It was a Sunday; one of the days she distasted the most, because it meant Sunday service — which meant long, boring, and tedious hours at church.