Chapter 2

Luke huffed as he walked down the streets of Los Angeles. All he had wanted to do was enjoy the sun and heat of the day in peace, but clearly he was asking of the impossible. Behind him, the paparazzi flashed their obnoxiously loud cameras and asked their repetitive questions. Luke thought it was ridiculous, their expectations of him were way too high; why would he tell them about his most recent breakup? Who was he to expose the relationships of his best friends? Why should he have to explain his nightlife?

Becoming extremely irritated by the crowd that had gathered behind him, Luke decided to look for an escape. Turning the corner, he came across a small shop that seemed pretty empty and quiet. He slipped inside quickly before the paparazzi turned the corner.

He moved to stand behind a shelf, sighing to himself in relief as he saw the cluster of people walk past the building, looking extremely confused and irritated.

Luke glanced down at the shelf, picking up a book. He gazed down at the cover, unimpressed. He had never been a big reader, and it would be his luck that the place he had to spend his next fifteen minutes would be a bookshop.

"Hiding?" A voice asked from behind him and Luke's head shot up, having been slightly startled. "Don't worry," the woman laughed, "I won't snitch."

She was pretty, Luke thought. Lilac hair fell past her shoulders in gentle waves, tucked behind her ears. Pretty blue eyes watched him, and Luke was almost mesmerized by them. The woman was dressed in a casual pair of skinny jeans and a graphic shirt, and if she hadn't been the only person in the shop, he wouldn't have thought she worked there.

"Yeah," he said, chuckling. "How could you tell?"

"You looked disappointed when you looked at the book." She pointed out. "Which I find offensive because To Kill A Mockingbird is a personal favourite of mine."

"I'm sorry," Luke apologised. "I'm just not a big reader."

"I can tell." The lilac haired girl walked towards the counter, before jumping up to sit upon it. She patted the spot beside her with her."I assume you're gonna be here for a little while. Want to join me...?"

"Luke," he answered, moving to join her.

"I'm Artemis," she said, confidently. "So, why do the paparazzi want you?"

"I'm a singer in a band," he sighed, and Artemis took note of the way his shoulders slumped.

"Ah!" She said, feeling as if she had connected two puzzle pieces. "Your band has that song about not fitting in!"

"She's Kinda Hot?"

"Yeah! That one!" She exclaimed.

The two continued to talk for the best of half an hour, laughing between themselves as they discussed everything from their favourite flavour of ice cream to recent occurrences in their lives.

Eventually Luke glanced down at his phone, eyes widening at how quickly time had flown by. He slid off the wooden counter, his feet landing firmly on the ground before he turned around to make eye contact with the woman who was now at head height.

"I have to go now," he said, before hesitating. "Can I take you out for coffee some time?"

"Sure," Artemis spoke sweetly. "Hand me your phone." She stuck her hand out and Luke unlocked the device before handing it to her. Normally, Luke would've been wary of handing his unlocked phone to a stranger that he had just met, especially with his position in the media. For some peculiar reason, Luke felt as if he could trust Artemis.