cognitive psience

Start from the beginning

"You wanted to give him something he could use forever, right? I completely understand." Niijima stepped closer to the shelves, "Does he like cute things?"

"I'm not sure, but he's not the type of guy to reject a gift, even if he doesn't like it."

Niijima's eyes scanned the merchandise before she reached out for one. When she handed it to you, you inspected it rather thoroughly—only the best for Takuto, after all. "This is simple, but still has an element of individuality to it. And the design isn't as glaring as some of the other ones here." She was right. It was a plain yellow A4 sized folder (perfect for his notepad pages), with a Gudetama on the bottom right corner. The material was sturdy enough to withstand reasonable bending, while staying light enough to not add too much weight inside his bag. "Plus, who doesn't like Gudetama?" looking at her, she appeared relatively proud of herself.

You smiled softly, holding the folder to your chest. "This is perfect. Thank you."

"Of course."

As you walked away, another thought popped into your mind. Stopping in your tracks, you glanced over your shoulder: Niijima was still there. "Hey, actually—" you turned around once more, facing her. "Sorry if I'm prying, but do you know this guy, Ren Amamiya?"

Niijima's body went tense, "O-oh, yes, I do. I'm student council president, after all." She crossed her arms, conflicted as she bit her lip, "Can I ask why?"

So, it was true. You had a sneaking suspicion Niijima knew him—you kept running into him or people related to him, no matter where you went. You're in love with his counselor, who's researching us both, and you're a frequent customer of the café he lives in. You ran into him at Big Bang Burger, the summer festival, and the other day at Leblanc; now, here you are, running into another one of his friends. Just how much of this was purely coincidental? No—it had to be fate. "I'm a friend of his. I was just curious, is all."

You ended up picking up a similarly styled notepad and pen on your way to the register. As you were checking out, your phone buzzed in your pocket. It was probably Takuto telling you he was here—you ended up being correct.

Hey (Y/N)! I'm here by the station.

When would be the best time to give him the gift, you wondered? I'll meet you there. Just give me a few.

You're already here? Did I keep you waiting for long?

No!! It's alright, don't worry. You stuffed your phone back inside and quickly made your way back to the station, pushing past people if you had to. Between your racing heart and your quick, shallow breaths, you were sure you'd look a complete and total mess in front of Takuto, but after so long, you couldn't care less. Plus, he'd be concerned, and you'd get to hear his sweet voice console you...it was indescribable how much you missed that man.

With vision like a hawk, you quickly spotted Takuto and had to control yourself from sprinting towards him. "Takuto!" you waved to him, your legs trembling, "It's so nice to see you again."

Takuto greeted you with his usual, beloved kind smile. "I feel the same way. It's been far too long."

Him saying something like that so nonchalantly, how dare he? You were beyond flustered. "S-so, um—what was it you're looking for again?" you stood close to him as we walked ahead.

Takuto spent a good amount of time surveying the shops in front of us. "This book I read about online. I saw that it might be here—I hope it still is." He spoke in a low tone.

"What's it about?" you asked curiously, your head cocked.

Takuto was silent for a moment, his body stiffened. "It's about what I'm researching: cognitive psience." There was a distinct shake and uneasiness in his voice—it reminded you of the incident in Odaiba.