the big bang burger challenge

You were here far earlier than the time initially agreed upon. There were two reasons for this: one, you absolutely did not want to be late. Not only would set a horrible precedent, but it would surely inconvenience Maruki himself. Second, you wanted to have time to eat at Big Bang before he arrived. It was a fool-proof plan, really: he's eaten already? No problem! You already had a serving of fries before he came. He wants to order something before beginning? Also not a problem! You purposefully ordered something small in case he wanted to discuss over food.

As you dipped some of the hot fries into the paper cup filled with ketchup, you received a text from Maruki saying the office just closed and he was on his way. It's about a fifteen-minute train ride from Shujin to Central Street, so you had plenty of time. Still, though, you didn't want to leave any evidence; it felt silly to worry about such superficial things, especially considering Maruki's someone who wouldn't judge you at all, but you couldn't help it. First impressions are everything and the last thing you wanted was to mess anything up with Maruki. The last of the fries were warm and soggier as fast food tends to become. There was always something satisfying and belly-filling, however, about the salty, greasy food that comes from these places, despite being horrible for your health. Everything in moderation doesn't hurt, though...salty, greasy food is goddamn delicious.

After destroying the evidence—throwing away the tray and checking your teeth, along with quickly chewing on a stick of gum—you were ready to meet Maruki. And, like clockwork, he walked through the doors. You watched the woman working the register greet him while your own excitement began rolling in; at the same time, you felt horribly nervous. It's not a date! It's not a date goddammit!  You feared messing up or saying something that wouldn't be useful to him, and just like that, your extra meetings would be over in an instant.

"Hey there!" Maruki greeted you in his usual soft tone, "I hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long, (Y/N)." He said your name, and you loved the way he said it.

"N-no, not at all!" you gave a slight courteous bow. "I just got here too, actually." What a bold-face lie—you'd been here for at least forty-five minutes, but Maruki never had to know that.

"Before we begin, I think I'll order a drink...would you like anything?" he reached into his pocket, pulling out the small brown wallet you'd seen so many times.

You couldn't ask him to pay for you, even if it was only for a drink. "I have my water bottle, actually." you pulled it out from the kangaroo pouch off the side of your backpack to show him, subsequently placing it on the table in front of you. "I have classes after this, so..." a soda did sound good right about now, but you didn't want to burden Maruki like that.

"No problem! I'll be right back then. We can begin then, if that's alright with you." After setting his things down, he took off to the front counter once more.

Maruki was a special kind of man. He had a certain knack for making those around him instantly comfortable, regardless of topic of conversation. You nearly forgot how nervous you were just a moment ago, but your mouth still felt dry. The water you kept was lukewarm and, consequently, rather flat, but you could manage until you arrived at school. Maruki soon returned, a medium-sized beverage in hand, and earnestly took a seat. It was evident how passionate he was about this project from looking at his body language alone. When he was all settled in his seat, he moved his hair out of his face and pulled a notepad out of his own bag. The pen he took out was neatly tucked into the pocket of his lab coat. His clothing seemed out of season, given it was early June and he was wearing a button-up, khakis, and that coat; nothing could be done about looking professional at work, in any event.

"I hope you don't mind me taking notes." Maruki's eyes shifted, his pen spinning in his hand, albeit clumsily, "If you aren't comfortable with it, I can stop!"