cognitive psience

Your Book Town "date" finally came, much to your anticipation. You were practically shaking with joy at the prospect of seeing Takuto again and, with Shujin reopening for the term in just a few weeks, seeing him would once again become a regular occurrence.

On the other hand, it was also the Day of Cleansing, and there was still no word from the Phantom Thieves. You and Takuto had your own doubts about Medjed so, while it couldn't be said about most others, you weren't worried. Medjed was either incapable or they were powerless to the Phantom Thieves. Ren, whom you exchanged contact information with, was also rather cool about it, as he was with everything. Truthfully, it felt so weird having a teenager's number in your phone, but the only reason we did it was to keep tabs on Takuto: what questions he'd ask you two and how he'd ask them for when the sessions would continue.

Being as thrilled as you was, you couldn't sit still at home until the meeting time drew nearer, so you left the house about an hour earlier. Since it was a warm and sunny Sunday, you fully expected Jinbōchō's Book Town to be completely full—as it was. You didn't tell Takuto you arrived already. Instead, you told him you just stepped onto Yongen's platform; he'd be here in about forty-five minutes. That gives me some time, I guess, you thought as you stared at his message.

You never really thought of Book Town as a place to "hang out." The selection of used books was rather sizable, especially that of used textbooks. You got them for much cheaper here than you did buying, or even renting, directly from the university. You usually came here alone with what to buy in mind, so it was just a matter of going in for an hour and then leaving without a second thought. Although, there were a few cute stores here that you never checked out...

Making your way through the large crowds of people, you spotted one: a Sanrio-themed stationary store. Your very first instinct was to buy a pen or notepad for Takuto, but—would he enjoy something so cutesy? Thinking about his character, he probably would; he seemed like the type to gratuitously accept any gift, no matter if he personally liked it or not. With that thought in mind, you started for the door.

The interior was lit brightly and smelled of fruity perfume, while peppy, upbeat music blasted on the speakers. The merchandise itself was cutesy, as predicted, and the walls were colored a light pastel pink and blue. But—what to buy for Takuto? A pen or notepad would be useful for his profession, but when it's out of ink or all the pages are filled, it would go in the trashcan, and you didn't want to think about your gift ending up there. What would an older man like him enjoy, and could be something he used for a long time? You paced the aisles hoping to stumble across something that fit the bill, but to no avail so far. What about a folder?

In that section, you noticed a brown-haired woman—a Shujin student, if your hunch was correct—pondering indecisively over the various notebooks displayed next to the folders. She already held a few items in her other hand. Could she help me? You picked up a paper folder, feeling the sturdy material between your hands. She looks like she knows a lot about this stuff. You took a shot in the dark, "U-um! Excuse me," you called for her attention, still making sure to speak quietly to not make a scene. "Do you think you could help me?" you asked timidly.

"Hm?" the girl looked up and to you, "O-okay, sure." She stepped closer to you. You gave a quick introduction, and she informed you her name was Makoto Niijima.

"I don't know if you recognize me. Not a lot of people do." you said sheepishly, now examining a plastic folder, "I work at the convenience store near your school. I've rang you up before, so...I hope I'm not coming across as weird."

Niijima gave a polite smile in response. "Not at all. How can I help you?"

"You see," you rubbed the nape of your neck, your brows furrowed, "I have this friend who probably goes through a lot of stationary because of his job, so I thought of getting him a pen or notepad, but that would just go in the trash after it's been completely used up. I didn't really want that, so..."