the month without maruki

We are disappointed in the people of Japan and their belief in the Phantom Thieves' false justice. Hence, we shall proceed with our plan to cleanse Japan. This process will commence on August 21st. As a result, the Japanese economy shall suffer devastating damages. However, we are magnanimous. We will give the Phantom Thieves one final opportunity to repent. As proof of their repentance, we demand that they reveal their identities to the public. We will attack if these demands remain unmet. The future of Japan rests with the Phantom Thieves. We are Medjed. We are unseen. We will eliminate evil.

It was impossible to go anywhere without hearing of Medjed's warning to the people of Japan. The Day of Cleansing was also set for the day you and Takuto  were supposed to go to Book Town: Sunday, August 21st.

There was something that didn't sit right with you: Medjed, in the past, was known for exposing corruption as grey-hat hackers—so why target innocent people? Why would they attempt to wreck an entire country's economy over the Phantom Thieves? Thinking further, the Phantom Thieves had to use some form of electronic communication if they are indeed a group and not just one person. Encryption exists, but if they could hack into government files, why not text messages to expose the Phantom Thieves themselves? It was mind-numbing to you and Takuto, who frequently spoke of the Medjed Menaced over SMS:

There's lots of free-floating anxiety over Medjed, he texted me one night, how are you holding up?

I'd probably be better if I could see you. But you didn't have the courage to brazenly tell him your honest feelings like that.

Instead: I'm managing, for the most part. Don't forget to take care of yourself too.

The month without Takuto was plagued with a special kind of loneliness; it was unbearable at times. The pain of it all hit hardest on your sleepless nights, where you spent hours staring up at the ceiling above you, clinging to Jack Frost, shaking, trembling, anxiously counting down the days until you could spend time with him again. You almost missed how excited you would get seeing him walk through the doors of your store. Now, after having spent more meaningful time with him—knowing how good it felt to be around him as his friend and not as your customer—ringing him up was a bore. You should've been grateful you were still communicating over the phone, but you missed his laugh, his awkward smile, and his other memorable and endearing behaviors. Frankly, you couldn't believe how hard you'd fallen for the man: Takuto Maruki, the counselor of Shujin Academy and a researcher of psychological treatments.

The Medjed Menace would continue to be a prevailing topic for the rest of July and through most of August. And, with no classes until September, you had nothing to do but work. As Shujin finished its term and entered summer vacation as well, you were truly alone, and without Takuto, for much longer than you could bear. You came to appreciate handing him his change once again.

You passed your finals, for the most part, but you had no one to celebrate with—you don't think you would've been up for it anyway. You told your parents. They said they were proud of you.

The day you received your first term grades, you elected to treat yourself to a nice cup of Leblanc coffee and curry. In hindsight, you didn't realize how long it had truly been since you enjoyed lunch from your favorite coffee shop—you almost felt ashamed! You'd been eating Big Bang Burger far too much for your tastes. So, after your shift, you went straight for Leblanc. You had nothing to study for—aside from summer homework, which you didn't think to bring—so you'd just be relaxing for once, maybe talk to Boss for some time too.

Come to think of it, you never brought Leblanc up to Takuto. Did he like coffee or was he more of a tea person?

You couldn't stop thinking about him.