Chapter 2: Rose

Soft cool air flew through Mathilda's hair and tickled her neck. High above, seagulls circled and flew back and forth over the canal. Stretching her neck to watch them, Mathilda remembered that this was something she had always liked about their home in Strasbourg - being so close to water.

On their way to the bar, Mathilda grew wary. It was unusual for Gwen to give in on the twin talk so easily. Too many times before had they talked about the twin theory without any results. Perhaps she was in a good mood. This meant Mathilda had only one chance now to convince Gwen from what she saw. It better worked out.

"We're here," she announced.

They had passed a small alley that led them to a quiet square, the only noise coming from the rippling water of the fountain that stood in the centre. Across the street, a huge wooden door of the bar stood slightly open, with a sign above that said 'House Voltaire'. Through the windows Mathilda saw tables and chairs and people chatting. It was a busy place. Mathilda had thought it would only be like this in the evening, but even now in the middle of the afternoon, it was packed full.

"How do you even know she's here now?" Gwen asked.

Mathilda shook her head, determined that she was right. "I think she was wearing an apron when I saw her. She must work here."

"Did you talk to her?"

"No. Just saw her in passing. I doubt she noticed me."

Mathilda was aware that her fleeting moment with Gwen's future twin didn't speak of much confidence. Perhaps she should have planned this encounter first.

They stepped into the bright inside of the bar. It might have been the loud and lively atmosphere in this late afternoon and the sun light that pressed inside the large window fronts, but the place felt even brighter than the street outside. Mathilda looked around. The walls were clustered with photographs and posters and other gimmicks. In the right corner was the bar counter with a large sign above with the usual list of drinks and a big "Happy Hour 4-7pm" note.

With a sudden push from behind, a few guys passed her, entering the bar and joining their group at the table. In another corner three girls shrieked about the new song that started to play from the blaster above them. Gwen wrinkled her nose.

"I suppose this place is not to everyone's taste," Mathilda concluded.

Gwen nodded towards two empty stools at the bar.

"Did you see the twin similarities to that guy maybe?" she said, indicating the man behind the bar.

From her snarky tone, Gwen clearly wasn't taking it serious. But Mathilda wasn't going to give up now.

On their way over, they caught the bartender's eye. The man seemed surprised of their presence.

He blinked at them with a forced smile, as he put down a new batch of clean glasses on the counter in front of him. Polite but distant, Mathilda thought. As he reached the counter, he mustered Mathilda first, then Gwen.

"So ladies, what can I do you for?" he asked in a casual tone.

The question he really wanted to ask was, Why are you here?

It was wildly obvious that they, especially Gwen who came dressed like she was representing an important consulting firm, didn't belong to the usual happy hour crowd.

"We moved here a few weeks ago," Mathilda replied. "Checking out the best spots in the neighbourhood."

She gazed over the wall behind him. In between the shelves hung a few photos and pictures. In one of them she spotted the same bartender. Someone had scribbled under it: 'Colin, the best barman in the northern hemisphere'.