Chapter 14: Surprises

As I was walking to the Great Hall with Blaise and Daphne one cold January day, I heard someone call, "Lily! Wait!"

I turned around sharply, my long red hair accidentally smacking Blaise in the face, "ouch."

"Sorry Blaise." I apologized, searching for the source of the voice.

Hermione was dashing towards me, her frizzy hair looking even crazier than usual in the dry weather. Her cheeks were flushed and her eyes were shining with excitement. She finally caught up and exclaimed, "we found him!"

"Who?" I asked ignorantly, arching my brows.

Hermione glanced back at Daphne and Blaise and gave me a look.

"I'll catch you guys later, alright?" I told Blaise and Daphne. They nodded and I followed Hermione to a quiet corridor.

"Flamel! Harry found him on the back of Dumbledore's chocolate frog card," Hermione blurted out with a big sigh. "Finally!"

"So who is he then?" I pondered curiously.

"He is the owner of the Philosopher's Stone!" Hermione exclaimed, waiting for a reaction.

I blinked my eyes slowly, "the what?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and, "of course you don't know. Honestly! Pick up a book and read sometime! Your brother and his friend would do well to do the same." she scolded, "the Philosopher's Stone can transform any metal into gold and produce the Elixir of Life which-"

"-makes the drinker immortal," I finished. "See? I do read sometimes...wow, so that's why someone is trying to steal it."

"Not just someone, Lily. Snape," Hermione reminded.

"Right," I replied, only half convinced. Even though many signs were pointing in Snape's direction, I wasn't fully sure that he was trying to steal it. I know that he had worked for the Dark Lord in the past but Professor Dumbledore trusts him now and I trust Professor Dumbledore.

"So what are you, Harry, and Ron going to do about it?" 

"Well, I would want to tell a teacher but we don't have enough proof that Snape is behind it. So as of now, there is nothing we can do."

%

"Why must they all give us so much work?" Ron groaned, slamming his head down into a History of Magic textbook in defeat.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had invited me to do Homework with them in the library. I hadn't hung out with them in awhile and due to our almost unbearable work load, this was the only way we could meet up.

"I'll never remember this!" Ron complained, throwing his quill down and looking longingly out the window.

"I'm sure you will," I assured him kindly, "if you can remember the dates of all the Quidditch World Cups, surely you can memorize the dates of the Troll and Goblin wars!"

"You know my brain only retains what it wants to retain," Ron declared. "Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?"

"Jus' lookin'," he said without meeting our eyes. "An' what're you lot up to? Yer not still lookin' fer Nicholas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago," Ron said proudly, "and we know what the dog's guarding, it's a Philosopher's St-"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid shushed frantically. "Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"Sorry," I muttered, looking around to see if anyone had heard us.

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," Harry remarked. "About what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy-"