Wiser Still

Note: Shout out to the fantastic wonderful fun people who joined me on chatzy while I was writing the first half of this.

…………………………………………..

            When Arthur opened his eyes, it was not to a desert sky, but to his workshop. He was sitting at his desk, a half-finshed something-or-other in his hands. He had no idea what it was, because he couldn’t remember working on anything. In fact, he was pretty sure a moment ago he had been dead.

            Was this heaven? Even if it was his workshop, he was more than a little disappointed.

            He heard a barking laugh behind him. “No, it is not heaven, but I wished to speak with you before you wake up.”

            He spun around in his chair. Mystery lay on the ground, full sized and leaning up against the far wall. He took up over half the room. There was something different about him, even in this form, but Arthur couldn’t quite put his finger on it.

            “Before I wake up…So… We’re in my mind?” Arthur glanced around.

            “If that’s what you’d like to call it. I thought this might be the most comfortable place to speak with you.”

            “So, I’m not dead?” Arthur hedged, needing confirmation.

            “You died, but you are not dead.” Mystery expelled a long breath. “That was very foolish of you.”

            “You’re welcome.” Arthur muttered, stung.

            “I did not say it was not appreciated, only that it was foolish. You had no hope of surviving.” He paused. “Why did you do that, Arthur?"

            “What do you mean why?” Arthur’s eyes narrowed. “You’ve always been there for me, and you’re asking why I’m there for you?”

            “I am asking you why you would do such a thing after discovering—”

            In three steps Arthur crossed the room and slapped the end of Mystery’s nose. The kitsune flinched, startled. “Your name is Mystery,” he said firmly. “You’ve been rolling me around since I was a baby, keeping me out of trouble, tailing my every move, and watching me my whole life. You saved me from that thing in the cave the first time, you helped me get back on my feet, and this whole last couple of weeks you’ve done nothing but try and comfort me and protect me. So you’re a giant fox beast from King Arthur’s times? Fantastic. I’ve had weirder things happen to me this week. I mean, I already knew about the fox beast bit, but you know. Look,” he pinched the bridge of his nose. “The point is, you’re Mystery. And maybe now you’ll talk more in ways I can understand instead of yapping at me when you’re mad, but that’s who you are.” He looked up, scowling. “I don’t know the creature that monster was talking about. Understand?”

            Mystery stared at him for a long time, before lowering his head in an odd way. Shock jolted Arthur’s system when he realized Mystery was bowing his head.

            “I remember that look well.” Mystery said quietly. “King Arthur would often wear that look when meting out a judgment among his knights and lords. And no one ever quarreled with him over them. Neither will I.”

            Arthur blinked, then sank to the floor, recalling that bit of information.

            Descended from King Arthur.

            “Do I look like him?” Arthur peered up at Mystery, who cracked a smile.

            “It’s been many generations, so no. But you carry his manner sometimes, in unexpected moments.” His eyes shone slightly. “You certainly behaved toward me as he did. Granted, every member of this line has taken care of me, but he more than most. He took me everywhere of his own accord. He spoke to me as if he knew I understood. He confided in me his troubles and fears and woes too. And he was never without a kind word or a friendly pat. Granted, it was indignity to be patted at the time, and I very nearly bit his hand off the first few times. I was not friendly for the first few weeks.”

            Arthur chuckled a little at that.

            “But he never gave up. He took Merlin seriously, and treated me as if I was a member of his family.” His mouth turned down slightly. “I supposed he needed such a confidant after his wife…” He sighed heavily. “Among many things I regret.”

            Arthur scooted over to Mystery, putting a hand up to his neck and stroking the fur carefully. “Welcome to the club, bud. I think that’s going around right now.”

            Mystery lowered his head, resting it on the ground beside Arthur. His eye, half the size of a man’s face, fixed on Arthur. “I am no longer bound.” He said softly. “Merlin once told me that I would be bound to this line, and unable to regain my form unless it was called on by my masters, or if I judged them to be in danger. That the majority of my strength would be sealed away until a descendant of the line risked his life for mine. That is what you did today, Arthur. And you have broken the seal on me.”

            Arthur’s stomach sank. Did that mean Mystery was leaving?

            “Only if you want me to.” Mystery eyed him steadily. “I would stay, Arthur. I have been guarding this line for many generations by force, but I would willingly continue for as long as you will have me, if you will.”

            Arthur gaped at him. “…IF?” He practically shouted. “If? If he asks me, IF? You…” He pushed up to his feet and toppled forward onto Mystery, wrapping his arms around the giant neck. “If, you big puffball.”

            He felt a forepaw wrap around him gingerly. “You’ve been hanging around Vivi too much.” The kitsune teased. He tensed slightly. “What will you tell them?”

            Arthur buried his face in Mystery’s fur. It smelled like sweat and earth. “I’ll tell them you were bound to protect King Arthur’s line, that I’m a descendent, and that you were freed today. That’s all they need to know. However,” He popped his head up. “I still wanna know if you’re gonna actually talk to me from now on, the yapping is a little obnoxious.”

            Mystery’s lips pulled back in a toothy grin. “It has been too long since I have seen you in a truly good mood like this. It makes me happy. As of this moment I am unsure of my limits in that form now that I am unbound. Perhaps we will find out together, the four of us.” His tails lifted in a slight wag.

            “Oh!” Arthur stared. “That’s what’s different… seven.”

            Startled, Mystery glanced back, raising his tails. “What do you know,” he murmured, examining his newest tail, “I seem to have learned something important today.”

………………………….

Note: Seems various and sundry explanations of the tails exist, but personally I like the one that connects wisdom to the number of tails. The characters belong to MysteryBen and Artsy.