My Gem (Part 1) [Dino x Insecure Fem! Reader]

Photo Credit [Tumblr]: @/gumioleaster

___

Life was pretty great at the moment.

A certain silver-haired jeweler and his lover sat on the same old bench at Galdin Quay, overlooking a view of the vast blue ocean right in front of them. The sun was beginning to set just a bit beyond the horizon, and you'd be lying to yourself if you said it wasn't absolutely breathtaking. The orange and pink sky reflected off of the ocean, making the whole scenery feel like a painting of some make-believe place. You were glad it wasn't. Dino had an arm around your shoulders, his hand pulling you close to him as your head rested against his chest. The two of you savored this moment with each other, because days like these were hard to come by.
Dino being occupied with both his jobs as a journalist and a jeweler made it difficult for you two to get some one on one time together. But today, he'd managed to make room in his schedule for his special someone. And that special someone was none other than you.
He hasn't told anyone yet, but he's been planning to quit journalism. It wasn't just because of his passion as a jeweler, and to help those in need of protection. Now, he had you in his life. Quitting journalism would not only allow him to pursue his dream of "Dino-domination", but it would also allow him to stay closer to you. For Dino, that was more than enough to keep him happy.

And you? Well...

Were you enough for him?

"How are ya, Doll?"

"Huh..?" Your eyes turned to look at Dino, snapping yourself out of your current thoughts. Letting out a chuckle, Dino tightened his grip on your shoulder, pulling you closer to him. He sensed your unease.

"You've been spacin' out lately. Wanna talk about it?" Your eyes widened slightly, and you puffed out your cheeks in embarrassment.

"Is it that obvious..?"

"Honey, I can read ya like an open book. Ain't no hidin' anything from your ol' pal Dino." You let out a giggle, to which Dino smiled at. "But, I won't push ya if you don't wanna talk." He kept his head tilted down to look at you, still snuggled up against his chest. You didn't look back up to meet his gaze. Instead, you bit the bottom of your lip with uncertainty. One side of you was yelling at you to tell him of your insecurities, yet the other was saying that it would only make things worse. That they would drive him away.

When he didn't get a response, Dino pulled himself away and bent forward on the bench to properly look at you. Your head left his chest, no longer feeling the fabric of his jacket and vest against your cheek. His hand gently placed itself on your knee. "_______?" His voice had gotten soft. "Is everything alright, Doll?" You inhaled deeply, refusing to look at his eyes as you turned your head away from him.

"I-It's.. hard to say anything..."

Dino nodded understandingly. "Perfectly fine. Take ya time. I'm here for ya when you're ready, though," he slightly pursed his lips. Dino never knew what was going on inside of your head, and that frustrated him to a point. He wanted to be there for you as your partner, but it was hard to do that when you barely spoke a word to him. However, he understood that it wasn't easy for you. So whenever you felt this way, he'd just hold you close to him, and whisper sweet nothings to you until you'd feel better.

But he never knew if that was enough.

"It's just- You.. You deserve someone better, Dino," Immediately you stood up, your feet carrying you towards the railing in front of you. Dino quickly followed suit, getting up on his feet and catching up to you in a heartbeat.
"Hey, what do ya mean.." He soothingly rubbed your back with his hand, his elbow leaning against the wooden railing as he tried to get a better look at you. His brows furrowed in concern, and his eyes searched your face for an answer. You placed your hands on the railing as your shoulders hunched over slightly, hands gripping tightly to it. Your head hung low. You didn't want him to see you like this again, yet, here he was.
"I mean that you deserve someone better. S-Someone like Coctura, who actually has talent..!" Your head suddenly shot up, looking him in the eyes, "Hell. You two'd be- be cute together..." His face was a mix of emotions that you couldn't quite put together behind your hazy vision, tears now pooling out of your eyes. Was it an expression of hurt? Shock? Disgust?
His blue eyes painfully caught sight of the tears running down your cheeks, his hand slowly removing itself from the small of your back, now moving to cup the side of your face.

"_______, ya know why I left her. Things.. didn't work out between us-"

"Then why did you pick me? Someone who... probably looked stupid sitting at the edge of the docks everyday.." Your words were muffled, and quiet as you nuzzled the palm of his hand. But he heard you loud and clear.

"Listen, _______," he hesitated for a moment before pulling his hand away from your face, turning his body towards the ocean. Both of his elbows now rested on the wooden railing, hands clasped together in front of him as his figure hunched forward. He spoke as his eyes fixated on the darkening sky, "What I saw back then, was someone who needed somebody. 'nd somehow, that day happened to be day that uh, well, y'know..." You knew very well what he was referring to. The day that you were at your lowest, was the same day that Dino had left Coctura.

You softly hummed in acknowledgement, and he continued, "And to be honest, I had no idea what you were going through at that time. But on that particular day, ya looked.. broken, Doll." His eyes casted down, his head subtly turning your direction. "I didn't know ya personally, but.. it didn't feel right to leave ya alone like that," His posture straighted as he moved his hands to now grasp at the railing. "So, I sat next to ya in silence. And after a while, you finally spoke and- let me tell ya, your voice was angelic. Music to my ears! Still is, o'course." Turning to fully face you, his hands pulled away from the railing to have them reach down and hold your own. He held your hands in his slightly larger ones, eyes now deeply looking into your own. He took a breath, smiling lovingly at you, "Next thing I knew, _______, I fell in love with ya. Simple as that."
You were stunned as you stood still, feeling his thumbs slowly caress the the top of your hands. The sun had fully set, and the lights above you two had illuminated the docks, along with the rest of Galdin Quay. It was beautiful.

"D.. Dino..."

"I love ya, 'nd only you, _______."

___

Part 2 of this will be coming out soon after! It'll just be a sort of prologue, explaining how the two of you first met each other on that day Dino mentioned here. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, and that you're all safe and healthy during these rough times! We're all here for eachother, and remember, you can message me anytime. And please do leave any comments if anything seems out of place, I haven't written in a while so please forgive me! TuT