Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"I shall gather my belongings." Anne stepped closer to the door and turned quickly to face Katy, "Where are we going?" Katy smiled and swayed back and forth.

"The Lovell Estate!" Katy called, not hiding her excitement. Anne's uncertain behavior changed as a smile grew on her face. "We will have each other through this time, as we always have." Anne slipped from the room and Katy strolled to the window, watching Richard and Francis ride away from her. Katy did nothing but watch. Richard looked over his shoulder back towards her and she wondered if he could see her in the window. She raised her hand and waved slightly, hoping he may see her one last time before joining Edward and the battlefield.

~

Anne and Katy began their travel without Richard and Francis, and while the women had now accepted that when summoned the men must leave, the timing seemed to get worse. Anne would now have to begin her confinement without Francis and though she had Katy to support her, Katy was no match for her husband. Anne also felt for Katy, having finally married Richard only for him to snatched away as soon as he had given himself to her. Katy put on a brave face, daring to not tell Anne she felt this battle was different. Anne suddenly began shifting in the carriage, closing her eyes and breathing deeply.

"What is it?" Katy asked concerned, taking her hands. They were warm and clammy, and Anne suddenly relaxed.

"It is nothing," she spoke calmly, opening her eyes and smiling at Katy. "The baby is moving. We should continue."

"Anne," Katy whispered, noticing the sweat dripping from her face.

"It is nothing. He is not due to come for many more days," she lied.

"How long have you had these episodes?" Anne remained quiet and Katy hit the top of the carriage, her eyes never leaving Anne. It rolled to a quick stop and Katy exited, speaking with the groom.

"We must find a village," she advised quietly.

"Your Grace, I have strict instructions to bring you to Yorkshire without any extra stops. I cannot go against your husband's command."

"Lady Lovell's child is coming now. We must find a village and a midwife so she can give birth without harm. I have never been present for the birth of a child, and I fear I do not know what to do."

"There is a monastery not far," a knight advised, moving ahead on his horse.

"Go please, tell them of our arrival." The young man sped into the forest, filling the air with dirt. "We must go quickly, but carefully to not disturb her." The groom nodded and began calling orders to others. "We are going to a monastery," Katy advised sitting across from Anne, taking her hands again. "You must remain calm, for I do not know what to do," Katy whispered looking at her friend, trying to give support.

"This is how Isabel lost her child!" Anne began crying hysterically.

"No, Anne, this will not happen here today. We are not traveling far; you and the child will be safe." Katy continued trying to keep Anne calm, breathing with her and holding her close. She knew birth was imminent as Anne wailed in pain. The carriage stopped suddenly, and the door flew open.

"Come child, we must get you inside," a soft voice called. Two young nuns helped Anne to her feet and moved her quickly into the house. Katy stumbled behind them, trying to help in any way she could. They sat Anne down and turned quickly to Katy.

"Can you please get us hot water? And sheets?" Katy nodded and rushed through the corridors to the kitchen. She didn't need to ask, for the sisters were already putting together everything Anne would need.

"Thank you," Katy whispered, running back into Anne's room. Anne screamed, pushing extremely hard as Katy rushed in. Katy stood with Anne and held her hand. Anne screamed again and dug into Katy's hand. Katy felt nothing through her beating heart, for she had never been this terrified.

"You must push, child!"

"I can't do it," she cried, throwing her head back. "I can't do it!"

"Anne, look at me." Anne's eyes moved to Katy's, "You can, and you will. You are going to be a wonderful mother. This child knows the world is ready for him, you must also know you are ready for him." Tears streamed down her face and she screamed, pushing as hard as she could.

"Once more!" The sister called, and Anne obliged, pushing her body forward. The sisters moved with the child quickly, Katy and Anne watching and listening. A small cry filled the air and Katy sighed with relief. She squeezed Anne's hand and smiled.

"You have done it!" Anne closed her eyes and the sister brought her the small child.

"It is a boy," she whispered, placing him in Anne's arms. Anne smiled through her tears and held him close to her heart.

"He is beautiful," Katy whispered, lightly touching his hand. "What should you like to call him?" Anne laughed to herself with her son and looked to Katy.

"Francis had picked a name. After a man he hopes his son will look up to. Richard." Katy's heart skipped a beat and she beamed.

"It is perfect," she responded proudly.