chapter thirty four | take two

Start from the beginning

"I thought you didn't kill."

"He'll be paralyized, most likely. I know what angles to hit people at."

"Are we in the clear now?" I asked Lysander. I'm scared. I'm actually scared right now.

He looked around. "Vera, start running towards the town hall. I'm right behind you."

My eyes grew wide. He didn't just suggest that he did not just think I'm going to leave him. "No, absolutely not. I'm staying with you or you're coming with me, I'm not leaving you ten steps behind me."

"Vera, behind you!" I turn around immediately, grabbing the small blade hidden on my back. I didn't think twice before throwing the knife, and apparently the target didn't think twice before catching it while it was spinning through the air. The man grinned at the weapon, then tossed it aside.

"It's nice to see you again, Vera," Ansen smirked. I took a couple steps back, my heart beginning to pound. "I'm sorry I missed you last time, I didn't realise you were going to visit." His golden eyes focused behind me. "And you brought the Captain with you this time, what a treat. You can learn a lot from him, you know."

I don't say anything. I needed to plan my - our - escape. I wanted to glance back to make sure Lysander was still there, but I didn't dare break eye contact with Ansen. I didn't know what he would do if I turned around.

"What? Cat's got your tongue?" Ansen asked. He didn't move. "You forgot how to speak, love?"

"Where's Leo?" I asked between gritted teeth. "And don't you dare ask who he is, because I know you know who he is, and I know he's here."

Ansen raised an eyebrow. "You know this place well, Vera. I'm sure you know exactly where he is. As for giving him back... I'm afraid that's not going to be happening, love."

I clench my last knife, my hand shaking. I can't waste it on him, because I know he can dodge it easily. Ansen waits for me to say something, anything. He doesn't look afraid as he waits for my response - I mean, it's only a little girl, barely eighteen, and her older brother, with no back up whatsoever. As we speak, I know we should be running. The rest of his gang surrounded us.

"I'm not here to fight you, Vera," Ansen assured. But he wanted something else. He wanted me back.

"Last I checked, you didn't want me to fight with you, so I assumed I was fighting against you, now."

He pursed his lips. "Grab the brother."

I turned around swiftly as soon as the words left his mouth. Lysander jumped in to action, at leats not making his capture easy. The first person that came his way was kicked in the jaw. Dad taught him to fight, how to use his fists and his feet. But he needed back up. He needed me. The gun wouldn't last forever.

So why am I standing back, watching?

"Let go of him," I gritted. "Don't you dare let someone touch my brother."

Ansen Grey stands beside me now. He doesn't move to attack me, grab me, or harm me in any way. Why am I not moving to help my brother?

"No, Vera."

I go for the kick, into his chest. He grabs my ankle, but I don't let him hold on for too long, stabbing the knife into his arm, then pulling it back out after he lets go of me. He goes for a punch, but I dodge. We're in a heated battle - fists against fists. There were no weapons after Ansen kicks my last knife out of my hand. That's better than keeping the knife in his arm, because at least he didn't have a weapon.

At one point, I'm able to breathe. Ansen takes a step back, his eyes still on me. I wipe my nose, my black coloured blood staining my hand.

"It doesn't have to be like this, Vera," Ansen heaved. "All you have to do is come back."

I shook my head. The sun was going down, and so was my energy levels. I was already getting sick, and the fact that I'm managing to keep up with a six-foot-five man who probably weighed a hundred pounds of muscle more than me, and who was at least twenty years older than me - this was insane.

I took a split second to look back at Lysander. I heard gunshots and I there were bodies now on the ground. My brother took a second to wipe the blood off his lips, and that was a wrong move.

Damien joined the fight. He kicked the weapon out of my brother's hand, grabbing it as it flew through the sky. "SHIT!" I heard my brother yell. I watch as Damien takes the hilt of the gun, hitting Lysander on the back of his head, knocking him out.

"NO!" I yell, and when I process what happened, I realise the mistake I made.

Ansen has his giant hands around my throat. I screech, trying to make him let go. But he finds the pressure spot, and I know what's coming.

The world turns dark.