chapter thirty four | take two

Start from the beginning

Lysander has his gun out and I pull out one of my knives. Now that I think of it, if Ansen was still able to use his powers, then that probably would be his go to for attack or defense. I didn't know what powers he would have. Would it just be the powers of Coronam? Or, since he was born in Noatra, would he be a wildcard, like me. Or maybe he has the powers of the amulets he had... which was still a terrifying thought, because he had three.

It would be a risk having the amulet on me, so I didn't keep it with me. Maybe that's why I felt faint when using magic - but no, they should have just been a power sink, where I gain my powers.

Stop it, Vera. You're overthinking.

I check all the possible hiding spots, which I knew my heart. It was easy for me to spot anyone when I was walking, a skill I picked up quickly. "Coast is clear for now, but keep your gun out."

It was suspicious, I know it is. I turned around and began to head towards the town hall, before Lysander stops me. "Vera, no. Wait."

"It's all clear, Lys." I turn around. My brother didn't agree with my statement.

He looked around, and now he was paranoid. But then again, maybe I was missing something. Lysander fought us before. He planned attacks against us and nearly won... often. Maybe I should be listening to him.

"You need three knives, Vera. I know you have way better aim than me, so you are going to listen to me, okay?" My brother glances around, behind me. As far as I could tell, there was no one besides us in the town, but even I knew it was too good to be true. "Seven, four and eleven o'clock, trust me. Right... now."

My brother moves out of the way as I throw one knife in front of me, two behind. I never had to worry about accuracy, the knifes ending up where I meant them to go. Now that I think of it, maybe I did use magic. Maybe there was a bit of guided telekinesis for each knife I threw.

I see the first victim, eleven o'clock. He just stepped out of whatever hiding spot I missed - or maybe I glanced at it too quickly. I was losing my senses, my confidence in what I knew about my secret life.

I hated that.

The man had had a gun, but as soon as he raised it up, in goes the knife into his hand. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

I turn back around, where I threw the two other ones. One stuck out of someone's chest, the other out of a man's shoulder. One dead, two injured, but still very capable of harming us, or at least, radioing Ansen that I was here.

Lysander grabs my arm. "If someone is expecting your arrival, you never assume that the coast is clear. Understand?" I nod as he pulls me away from where we were standing, and towards our goal. I keep my eyes on the injured.

"Aren't you going to kill them?"

But I already knew the answer - of course he wouldn't. That's the one condition he had when King Pheon asked him to be Captain. Lysander Carmicheal swore to not kill someone if they weren't a direct threat to his safety or the safety of someone he loved.

"Are you at least going to try and find a hiding place within the buildings?" I asked my brother. He stopped in his tracks, looking around. He set up his gun, getting ready.

"You yourself know that they're hiding in the shadows," Lysander said, looking around. "It's dangerous, being on this side of the battle. I know that. You've hardly been on this side, maybe if you had a couple more years with Dad."

He aimed his gun to one of the rooftops. Wait, was I wrong about the killing part? He fired a bullet. Two. There was a large thump as the body fell on the roof, then stumbled on the ground.