Chapter 14: The Anomaly

Start from the beginning

"On the contrary," he said with that infuriating smirk painted on his face. "That was me wishing you a happy New Year."

"I'm alright with that."

He chuckled, bringing a hand up to tuck a loose hair behind my ear while his thumb stroked my cheek. Sparks erupted everywhere he touched me and I couldn't control the part of me that just wanted to drag him upstairs and show him exactly how good of a year I could make it for him.

"Now for the apology." Dean frowned, pulling away from me and crossing his arms, eyes no longer meeting mine. Cold flooded me at his departure, but that was nothing compared to the ice water I seemed to have been dunked into at his next comment. "We can't do that again."

"What the hell."

A glare was quick to etch itself across my face. "Listen, Andy. I just don't want something to happen to you. The angels. They're trying to do anything they can to get to me and I don't want you to become collateral damage."

I rolled my eyes. "Dean, I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."

"I know you can. It's just," he sighed, a hand pushing through his hair. The tension between us could have been cut with a knife. "I just don't know if I could stand it if something happened to you because of me."

The counter was cool beneath my hangs, gripping it until my knuckles whitened. It was that or punch the idiot boy in front of me. "Fine." I spit out. "We never did talk about what Christmas meant, and if you were going to have this talk with me you probably shouldn't have kissed me just now, but fine. Whatever you want, Dean. It's not like this meant anything." Grabbing the open beers, I let my shoulder knock into his as I walked past. "They were just two mistakes that won't be happening again."

"Andy," Dean whispered, a heart broken sound that made my fists curl tight around each bottle as I stopped.

Turning back to him, I set my jaw and let out an agitated huff before I could stop myself. "And know this, Dean Winchester," I took a few steps toward him, jamming my finger into his chest. "My parents were murdered right in front of me; my brother's blood was all I could smell for weeks. I have been a hunter since the day I was born." He blinked, green eyes surveying me as I pushed him back a little. "You more than anyone knows that this life isn't something you choose, it's something that chooses you. I knew the risks when I picked up my family legacy. And the day I finally go out, it's going to be because I'm a threat. Not because I have anything to do with you. I'm not some damsel in distress you have to worry about rescuing because when the time comes, I'm going out swinging, and Lord help whomever's in my way."

I didn't give him a chance to respond as I turned and left the room, anger boiling inside me. Why did I even kiss him? I should have just kept to myself on Christmas. It's not like I have a thing for him.

Right?

Handing Sam his beer, I plopped down on the couch with a bitter face, chugging my bottle. "You okay, Short Stack?" He asked curiously, no doubt able to see the vexation rolling off of me.

Swallowing the alcohol, I kept my eyes forward on the television we had just watched the count down on. My shoulders rose in a shrug as I heard Dean walk in. "I'm fine. Just way too sober for this." From my peripheral vision, I could tell Sam was sending his brother a look, but I didn't care. All I cared about was the beer in my hand and just how quickly I could finish it.