Chapter Three

"It's a prayer that I may have the strength to defeat the enemies of the Empire, so I may protect our people, and everyone I care about."

"And, what's the promise?"

Standing on the bridge of her ship, Yamato's only complaint was the robot that came out from its docking port. "... why do I need you machine?"

"I am a Type R9 Autonomous Shipborne Analysis Unit; you can call me Analyzer. I am to assist you with electronic warfare and advanced scientific analysis of- "

"So. Basically you're the crutch I need to stay ahead in space when it comes to science and computers?"

"In essence, yes. Originally, I was designed to assist a human crew, but since you have declined to have one, I have also been granted additional units to help coordinate repairs to the vessel."

"... right." She knew that over two hundred years would bring advancements, but she spent the past year either drowning herself at a bar, or training in simulations so she could fight in space properly. Serves me right, I guess. But then a single year is not a lot of time to learn everything, and it's my own choice to decline a crew. I'll just have to live with this... robot for now. "Well, alright then."

Taking a seat in the captain's chair, she mentally checked all the systems that were slowly coming online. Basic power was online, navigation was being brought up to speed, even though she had... reservations about the source but couldn't object. Not now at least. Instead she focused on weapons, engines, everything else that was slowly coming online. She reached for the controls, pausing only to recall how to complete her task, then remembering she could just do it without pressing any buttons, she called HQ. "This is Yamato, I'm ready for the power up sequence."

The one who answered was Heikuro Todo, who... as Yamato recalled, was the one who oversaw the original Izumo plan, but switched quickly to the Yamato one when Iscandar offered. "Understood, but there has been a complication. The Garmilas have launched an interplanetary ballistic missile, and it's heading indicates it's coming right for you. Continue preparations and launch when possible."

With the communication ending, she brought up the systems to look at the incoming bomb Yamato let out a curse. The thing wasn't huge, it was gigantic. Easily the size of a small city Guess I should be flattered that they think me such a threat. But... if they had these kinds of weapons why bother with the asteroids? Probably cheaper... it doesn't add up though. She remembered something about poisonous plants being discovered after the bombings, and the asteroids were making Earth unusually radioactive. Not that she had the best idea of what that meant, but she knew radiation was a side effect of a pair of bombs used against Japan to end her old war. What she knew about it all is some theory of changing the Earth so Gamillons can live on it. Which only added to her confusion.

Shaking her head, she put those thoughts aside and looked at the progress of the startup sequence. Not fast enough. There simply wasn't enough power to start up the core in the region. She leaned back in the chair, closing her eyes, muttering to herself, "Please... just let me go. I can't die here... I can't..." She felt tired as the familiar grasp of despair closed around her.

Then... something changed. Her eyes flew open as she felt more and more power flood into the core. Looking at a panel she saw new sources of power from all over the world giving what little reserves they can to jump start the core.

The whole world... it was a concept she never fully grasped before. That the whole world could come together for anything. To her, her people were always those of Japan. But... seeing just how many people were now putting all of their hope into her. It was humbling. I am such a fool, so blinded by grief. I never once stopped to think that MY people have moved on from the war I lost. Now the whole world has placed their hope in me, so that I may save them from the threat of Garmilas. Well, I promise you, the world, everyone... I will carry your prayers to the stars and bring back a miracle. This I swear.