↳ 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

004 — CHAPTER FOUR
playing doctor.

"Anything else that I can satisfy?"

────────────────────────

"Are they safe?" Denver mused.

Twenty hours had passed by, and the presses had eagerly spat out 52 million euros. They rotated shifts, forced to take short naps. Unlike the criminals, the doctor had gotten an adequate night's rest, albeit her back was a bit sore. The ground had not taken kindly to her. She slept almost soundly, on the brink of a deep sleep. It gave her deja vu, bringing about memories of her internship.

"Shouldn't you know?" Belgrade shrugged, skimming over the hostages' request for medicine one last time.

Her occupation as a doctor was known almost immediately after the requests ceased. Berlin called for her in a jest tone: "Doctor! Dr. Anastasia Morell, please step out." Her verdant eyes veered off to the hostages. They feared for her. She hesitated, swallowing nothing. Still, she marched forward. It was hard to ignore. The aura of the space was heavy, and stuck to her like hot wax. She didn't think it necessary to check the requested medication as they were all quite common prescriptions—with the exception of the abortion pill—but abided nevertheless.

"She'll run a checkup on you," he said. "Nairobi, accompany them to Mr. Roman's office."

The women automatically assembled in an obedient manner, following Nairobi as she led them to the Director's office. It was a few doors away from the break room and washrooms, 'round the corner of the west wing. It was a well lit room running with mirrors, and glass apertures. Belgrade led the first woman to a corner within Nairobi's eye, and began the examination. She was without her medical instruments, leaving her to her expertise based purely upon feel and touch, and inquiries. It was no problem.

"You have an extremely fast heart rate," she commented, calculating Ariadna's pulse. She looked away from the clock, eyes relaxing back from their squint. "The sertraline won't be enough to subside your tension."

"I am in a highly stressful environment, doctora."

"So we are."

Belgrade glanced at her in a discreet fashion, taking in the woman's appearance. Ariandna had sunken, big round eyes that were a light blue hue; framed by arch brows. Her celestial nose protruded out, the tip upturned giving way for large nostrils. She had a wide mouth, but she was attractive enough even in her disheveled state. The Mint's employee waited for the doctor's final ruling with shallow breaths and sweaty palms.

"I ought to prescribe metoprolol to help slow your heart rate," Belgrade finally ruled after a moment's silence. "Try to breathe. Catch your breath."

Arianda stared at her with somewhat bewildered eyes. In a low voice, she asked, "Why are you being so calm?"

Belgrade didn't look at her as she answered, "Would you want your doctor to panic?"

"No, I meant here--Right now."

"Someone has to keep their head above the water. We were trained to do so," Nadia joked, "Drink the water, it's not poisoned.

It wasn't funny, and she knew that. Her answer seemed to be satisfactory to the latter, seeing as she didn't push further. She walked Ariadna back to Nairobi, extracting the next patient to be examined by her. Monica sat down where the previous women sat, blocked from view by a corner.

She stuck her arm out, rolling the red sleeves for Nadia to calculate her blood pressure and heart rate with a rather anxious look over her face. Her earlier defiant expression melted away, she was here vulnerable and jumpy. She let Nadia do away with her, sitting in silence, mind some place else.

The doctor didn't probe around for too long, not wanting to keep her there for any longer than she needed to.  "Accounting for the situation, heart's normal," Belgrade stated. "However, I would urge you to relax-"

"You're not going to ask?" Monica inquired, shakily.

She gave her a quick glance, then slightly shook her head. It was not her business to pry or ask questions. As she pressed her hands under her jaw, she told her, "Be in a sound mind."

She shot up, rolling Monica's sleeve back down to her wrist. She helped her up, leading her back to Nairobi's view.

Nairobi asked out of genuine concern, "How are they, doctora?"

"Fine for the most part," she answered vaguely knowing Nairobi wanted a more specific and in-depth answer.

A knock bellowed from the wooden door.

"Enter."

It was Denver.

"Doctora, come with me."

She gave Nairobi a glance, who signalled an O.K..

He led her back to the break room which housed a languid Berlin straddled to the table, tossing an apple. He looked bored, mind not anywhere in particular. It was like they weren't in a pressing, dangerous situation at all. He was bored. Perhaps there was some truth to his words.

The door's swing caught his attention immediately. He caught his apple mid-air, and stood to greet her. But his eyes stayed half-shut and looked uninterested. And so, there she was.

"Shouldn't you know?"

Denver didn't reply. His lips pursed into a tight line, appearing almost jumpy. She narrowed her eyes. What is up with you?

Belgrade turned to Berlin, handing him the written note. "These are all safe, it won't harm them. Although I'd keep a careful eye on Monica. Try to be gentle with her."

He flicked it out her hand uninterestedly, which caused her to cock her brow at him, emphasizing the last part about gentleness.

"It's better for them to be separated from the rest," she voiced. "Keep them in Mr. Roman's office."

Sensing a brewing exasperation from the woman, his features lightened. A hearty smile twitched on his lips, "Consider it done. Anything else that I can satisfy?"

She bit her lip, shaking her head. There was nothing left to be said, but he kept her eye. The string on her chest pulled tighter. "No..." she dredged. "If that's all, Berlin, then I'll go back."

His brows raised, but didn't say anything further. Denver led her out and back to the hostages. Berlin's eyes followed her figure out 'til she disappeared from view. And he was left alone again to straddle the desk and toss his apple nonchalantly. He wasn't bored.

But this somewhat peaceful moment wasn't going to last. They never do.

author's note !
hi! sorry for the super late update
school has been super busy for me lately
but i'm glad to say that i've prepared another chapter
for you guys. it's a bit dialogue heavy but i think
quite tense. so please look forward to it!

did you guys see the trailer for p5? what'd yall think?

qootd: who do you think's going to die?

ngl i think raquel or the professor are going to get killed.

APPETENCE.