↳ 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

000 — PROLOGUE
a ticket out .

"I have a business
proposition."

────────────────────────

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

────────────────────────

Nadia stirred the amber drink in front of her with glowering green eyes. Smoke billowed and eddied around her, while the music drowned out behind her in mere echoes. Her fingers played around with the glass, watching the bourbon swoosh around. There wasn't much to think about: her mind was empty and unwilling to think, so she went for it. In one smooth motion, the glass was empty. The bourbon was washing her throat in a tight burn, a slight rush riding to her prefrontal cortex. She kept the glass attached to her lips, eyes trained on nothing specific.

She wasn't the type to drink. She'd take occasional drinks, but nothing more. She didn't even like the bitter taste of alcohol. These days, it seemed like her veins were craving the resolve it provided--the escape in lightheaded bliss. Perhaps, it was easier to think with a foggy brain, to live in delusions rather than live in whatever life was directing. The lack of sense she'd been using was funny, enough to make her giggle then and there. She burst into a fit of giggles.

She's been there for weeks now, foggy minded; head down and absolutely deposed from whatever it was that was happening in her surroundings. The bartender, Hernan, stole a couple glances, making sure that she wasn't intoxicated to the point that she would faint on the stop. She seemed to be on the close edge.

"Hernan, you know, you should never drink this much every Wednesday," she slurred. "It's the liver's enemy."

He feigned amusement, "Doctor's orders."

"But this, here, is a reward!" she exclaimed, shooting the empty glass toward him with empty yet glittering eyes. "Another one. On the rocks."

While Hernan fixed her drink, a stranger sauntered beside her, dressed in a stuffy suit, face half-covered with large, dark-rimmed glasses. The stranger stared at her with an observing look. Nadia ignored the stare, fumbling with her fingers on the oak surface. Her amusement faltered, she was drunk. The heaviness in her chest took precedence, making her slump. Hernan didn't take long to serve Nadia her drink, placing it in front of her. The drink seemed like a domineering figure, challenging her.

Nadia rested her head on her fists, staring at the clear liquid daring her to drink. It's a reward. It's a reward.

"Something on your mind?" the man interrupted. This time, Nadia glanced at him by the side of her eye.

She hummed, not answering. All her attention poured to the drink, waiting for a response. The stranger didn't say anything, opting instead to watch in silence. A moment or two passed, the tension and back-and-forth between Nadia and bourbon stopped. She took a sharp breath, taking the drink and emptying it in one swing.

A chuckle erupted, "Woah, slow down."

She glared at the man in an attempt to deter his prying, but he didn't seem to mind as he sent her a friendly smile.

"Trouble in paradise?" he asked carefully.

"And who might you be?" she bluntly asked.

The man kept his smile, shrugged. He didn't answer. Nadia narrowed her eyes, "Don't think I haven't felt you staring at me for the past 3 weeks. Because I have."

"A peachy coincidence."

She hummed, "I somehow don't doubt that at all. So what do you want?"

He paused. Taking in a moment to look at her properly, then he pointed at her ring. "That's the only thing your uncle left to you, right?"

She moved her hand, "I don't know what you mean...?"

"Professor."

"Professor, huh?"

"What are you planning to do about it?" he asked.

"It's dangerous to be prying in other people's business. And especially suspicious to be talking to a woman who's drunk," she mused in a slur. Nadia sobered up a touch, though she was still drunk. She was by no means getting abducted in a pub. Her glassy olive eyes glowered, repeating the question, "What do you want?"

"You're jobless, broke. Your uncle's nowhere to be found with your money. You have no license to practice medicine," he mulled, lips pursed.

Nadia frowned, her eyes narrowing at the man.

"I have a business preposition."

She cocked an eyebrow, somewhat intrigued by the Professor.

"A heist," he began. "A heist... quite unique."

The Professor's eyes held hidden nervousness, masked by fake confidence. Although she was no criminal, she could signal them off. Though drunk, she was still sharp. He didn't know her, anything could happen.

"I'm looking for people for... well, who don't have much to lose."

Nadia's fingertips played with the glass, indirectly fumbling with her ring. She listened to his words. Something struck her the moment he finished his sentence.

She had nothing to lose.

No career.

No family.

No dreams.

Nadia absolutely had nothing. So when he posed his eventual question, a rush of adrenaline, accelerated by the alcohol, made this man's offer somewhat attractive. He was offering her a ticket to something. Maybe to a dream. And something was better than nothing.

"How does 2.4 billion sound to you?"

author's note !
i hope you all enjoyed this prologue!
i am really excited about this new book
because it's a new show, new characters,
and a new genre :)

how do you guys think she's gonna
react to the gang?

how do you guys think she's gonnareact to the gang?

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

APPETENCE.