17

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

trigger warning.

When she woke up, all she realised was pain. It ran up and down her spine, coursing through her veins. Even the movement of breathing amplified what she felt — and it brought tears to her eyes.

Then, there was some sort of echo in her ears — and it took her about five minutes to realise it was somebody talking to her.

After another five minutes of her head moving from side to side, eyes squinted and heartbeat thrumming in her ears — she recognised the voice. And it made her heart jump at the thought — it was Pietro. He was okay.

Words flew out of her mouth before she could even think of what they meant, and suddenly she was calling out to the man who had taken care of her, acted as a father figure.

"Piet, where— wha..." Her words were incoherent, but the eldest Maximoff felt some relief — at least she was talking. At least she was alive.

Her brilliant blue eyes rattled around in her head, rolling even when she blinked them open. She vaguely registered the tears falling down the sides of her face, down into her hair and ears.

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Pietro attempted to reassure her, wishing that he could just pull her into a hug... but he couldn't. They'd locked her away. On her own.

She audibly gulped, her throat scratchy and dry and it was hard for her to swallow.

Ava excessively blinked her eyes, sitting up slowly as she did so. She paused and hissed in pain at certain times, having to stop a lot. But she eventually managed to sit up, scooting back slightly, but her shoulders hit a wall.

"Kid's awake." Clint announced to the rest of the prisoners, as they weren't all paying attention. It was quick to draw all of their eyes to her cell, though.

Ava's mind swirled as she tried to find comfort, find something to ground her... but she failed. There wasn't anything familiar.

And her only solution was the one thing she'd always have — her powers.

When she felt the familiar thrum of power buzzing through her veins, going towards the palms of her hands — a sense of relief flooded her.

"Ava, don't!" Pietro shouted warningly, banging his enclosed fists against the wall separating him from the little girl.

Before she could register Pietro's warning to stop, the metal around her neck burned with incoming voltage — it lit up, casting a blue glow throughout the cold cell, only adding to the horrid place.

Shrieks fell from her mouth, and she gasped in pain, the powers inside of her fading into a faint background hum.

It didn't last long, but the adults of the room would agree that it seemed to go on forever.

Instead of the nice hum of powers beneath her skin, Ava was left with an unpleasant buzzing throughout her body. It made her want to throw up, and as her eyes rolled about inside her head... she was sure that she was back where the Avengers had found her. This... this pain? It was familiar.