14

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬

Everything was falling to pieces in front of Ava's eyes. And she didn't think she was over exaggerating, either. This was a family — her family and it was collapsing.

She wasn't wrong, either.

Tony would never hear Steve out, not until he got passed his anger. And Steve would never be willing to explain everything to Tony — to take the time and stop the fight before it even began.

Yes, the man was grieving... but he was destroying a family in the process. And Ava knew it wasn't just Steve, they all had a part in this — including her.

But this was for the right reason... wasn't it?

"We gotta go," Bucky told Steve, the rest of the team hearing it through the comms. "That guy's probably in Siberia now." He explained, eyes flickering in worry — Bucky had experienced the winter soldiers first hand.

"We gotta draw out the flyers," Steve replied, "I'll take Vision, you get to the jet." He told Bucky, the man about to protest — he was interrupted by Sam.

"No, you get to the jet! Both of you!" Sam protested, flying away from the airport, closely followed by War Machine.
"The rest of us aren't getting out of here." Sam acknowledged, making Ava nervous.

Pietro was quick to protest to this, "No! Ava is a child, she must get out."

"As much as I hate to admit it..." Clint spoke, feeling bad for his words, "If we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it."

"This isn't the real fight, Steve." Sam spoke, and everybody that could hear him knew he was right. This wasn't about the Avengers, this was about that crazy man trying to wake the winter soldiers.

Steve debated in his head, before sighing quietly. "Alright, Sam, what's the play?" He asked.

"We need a diversion. Something big." Sam told the team, his breathing a bit choppy as he soared through the sky.

"I got something kind of big, but I can't hold it very long. On my signal, run like hell. And if I tear myself apart..." he trailed off, for dramatic effect — Ava guessed. "Don't come back for me."

"He's gonna tear himself in half?" Bucky asked incredulously, and confused. Why would he do that?

"You're sure about this, Scott?" Steve asked, and Scott nodded, although it wasn't really visible to the majority of the team.

"I do it all the time. I mean, once. In a lab. Then I passed out." He spoke, before psyching himself up. "I'm the boss! I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the boss... I'm the BOSS!" He yelled, before jumping from the mobile stairs and landing on War Machine's suit.

Scott fiddled with the device on his wrist, before he clicked the remote, squeezing his eyes shut.

When he opened them again, he was high in the sky, with all the other teammates looking like ants below him. Ironic. He quickly grasped War Machine in his giant hand, the man tiny compared to him, and he was easily stronger now.